MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-07-2002, 07:36 PM   #1
shawv
Registered Member

Question California Smog legal X or H pipe

I have a 2002 4.6L Mustang GT. I live in California. I already have the MagnaPack Catback system, and I want to get an X or H pipe with cats. (if it will pass smog)

If it won't pass sniffer or visual, and I have to drop the X pipe with cats out and replace it with the stock H pipe to get it to pass. I will get an off road Bassani, MagnaFlow, or BBK X or H pipe.

Can I get a legal H or X pipe in CA? If so what brand(s)?

If I can't, what is the best brand for performance and value in an X or H pipe?

Or, would it be better to keep the stock H pipe in and do some other mod? ie: gears etc.

shawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:51 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Basically, it is illegal in CA to change cats period unless they are damaged or not functioning properly. In my experience they don't look under the car when you do a smog check. There are CARB numbers on the cats themeselves on my BBK short H-pipe on my '00 (for longtubes), but getting CARB approval takes time and money, so I doubt if the whole H-pipe itself is legal, which is probably the case for most of the ones out there for new cars. You may want to check Bassani as I believe that is what comes stock on Cobra R's and therefore must be legal for use in CA.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote