MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-2000, 03:48 PM   #1
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the additional info guys. My next couple of weekends are busy so I can't dig in just yet. I think I'm still gonna try it though - and save a couple hundred dollars on installation at a garage.

BTW, 96GTS, I thought they only had the GTS model in 95. What's the deal with the 96 model year? Just curious (not disputing you or anything).
Stefan

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 07-07-2000).]
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 02:37 PM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Question Strut/ shock Install

Well, my struts and shocks finally arrived. I ordered the Tokico non-adjustables (the adjustables would have been nice, but the price and my driving style didn't really warrant them.) Anyway, is there anything special I need to know on either the struts or shocks as far as installation goes or is it a pretty straightforward procedure? Any tips or comments would help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Old 07-27-2000, 06:50 PM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Its handy to have a jack stand or two, along with a friend to get the front. The back is pretty easy. I don't think there is anything too terribly hard or unusal about it. Of course I was playing junior assistant during this.

BTW: Since they're exactly the same, you may want to re-post this in the Windsor power section. There are some old farts over there that would now all the dirty little details.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 08:15 AM   #4
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, I'll post over there and see if anyone has anything to add.

Stefan
Old 08-01-2000, 05:16 PM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Angry

The front struts are a b#$%^. You have to try to figure out some way of holding the top of the dang strut shaft while tightening the nut. The best way I've heard is an impact wrench. I tried an open end wrench, broke it. I tried vice grip pliers, tore the crap out of the top of the strut where you hold on to it. Now I can't even grab the top of the strut with anything. Sux! The rear isn't near as bad. You can buy a tool to hold on to the top of the shock at O'reilly's for about $11. On my struts I used white out to mark where the strut was alined on the spindle so I could put it back in the exact spot. I then went and got an alignment (recommended). I can't find a tool for the stinkin' struts anywhere. If anyone finds one, please let me know! Impact the front. Also, use the nuts and shi$ that come with the shocks and struts. I made the mistake of thinking one could use the factory nuts and stuff, just switch 'em out. WRONG! What the hell was I thinkin'?! Good luck.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 06:17 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

We used two of us (one above and one below), and a jack under the control arm to get that sucker in.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote