MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2000, 09:07 AM   #1
Ripper
Registered Member

Question Superchargers and gears

I'm reading a lot about the incredible performance gains stangs are getting from superchargers. More specifically, the Vortech (w/intercooler) and the Paxton Novi. Which is the better supercharger? If I do go the supercharged route, should I go to 3.55s or 3.73s? I have a 5-spd 99GT and will be adding the gears before getting a supercharger. At that point, the car will not be a daily driver.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2000, 12:26 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Talking

Why would it not be a daily driver just because you have 3.73s? In fact, I LOVE to drive daily BECAUSE of my gear ratio...(It's just plain fun!)
Unless you do a heck of a lot of stop and go city driving, you shouldn't see THAT much of a fuel usage increase....(you will see some though). I live in Dallas, and use mine as a daily driver on 635.... I have no problems with it.

After many conversations with different 4.6 S/C owners, I would consider the Vortech S-trim to be the staple of 4.6 superchargers right now. If you keep the boost reasonable, the Vortech w/aftercooler can be very reliable. (Although it WILL be more demanding on the engine than if you didn't have one)

From what I have heard of the Novi, it is also a great blower, but you might have to watch it a bit more than the Vortech, as some are quoting better numbers (and increased wear) on near stock 4.6s. If you want more info on the Novi, contact Aaron at Dallas Mustang.

Hope this helps...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2000, 01:51 AM   #3
Killercammer
Registered Member

I have a s/c on my 98 GT and I have 3.55's because thats what Steeda told me to put in there. But I've heard of a few people putting 3.73's in there 4.6's. Steeda told me my gears would whine out to fast with 3.73's. Believe me even with the 3.55's redline comes up fast. Any other questions e-mail me at 281cammer@altavista.net .

Killercammer
Killercammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2000, 08:14 AM   #4
Ripper
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I say that my stang wouldn't be a daily driver only because I want to keep the mileage down. I need to get a 2nd car for winter anyway. The latest snow storm here in the northeast has me at a crawl on the roads. Since the s/c is huge expense, I will probably get the 3.73s and then begin saving for the s/c. Hopefully, prices will come down. Yeah right!
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote