MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
98GTBlkConv
Registered Member

Default Suspension Upgrade

I have a stock 1998 Mustang GT convertible, and I am looking for suggestions on suspension upgrades. I don't feel that the stock suspension is "tight" enough, and I would like to make it perform better without making the ride rigid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
98GTBlkConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I would start off with better struts and shocks, koni is nice. Then you can do subframe connectors. Better Upper and lower rear control arms help alot also. Also a strut tower brace would stiffen it up. Convertibles allready have the engine bay brace underneath, so you dont need that. You could even change the springs to stiffer rate. I am in the process off doing all this to my car.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
98GTBlkConv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK85GT
I would start off with better struts and shocks, koni is nice. Then you can do subframe connectors. Better Upper and lower rear control arms help alot also. Also a strut tower brace would stiffen it up. Convertibles allready have the engine bay brace underneath, so you dont need that. You could even change the springs to stiffer rate. I am in the process off doing all this to my car.
Thanks for the reply! It seems I have been getting a lot of people reading my post, but nobody seems to want to respond. Anyway, is there an all-in-one kit I should buy, or should I replace the components piece-by-piece? I have seen kits advertised for around $1500, but don't really want to spend that much money right now. Any thoughts?
98GTBlkConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

You dont have to buy a kit. I priced them and it seemed it was not much cheaper. I would just start off with struts and shocks all the way around. You will notice a difference right away. KYB are decent for the price. Look at texasmustang.com
Koni are real nice but are more expensive. They are adjustable though. My car had them but I replaced with KYB just for the cost. The koni's where 15 years old and one finally started leaking.

Then you can get the strut tower braces, etc as you go along. Easier on the wallet that way.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
SteveK
Registered Member

I agree with the original post. Stock suspension is garbage, it allows too much pitch, back end wags at every transitional move, too much nose dive, aggressive entry into a bumpy corner while brake pedal on the floor leaves you floating....etc.

The $1500 kit you are referring to sounds like G-Trac kit. That type of set up is the best you can do. I would never steer (no pun intended) a person away from that.

If you are a budget racer, get KYB adjustables (~$450), Lowering springs (FRPP, or Eibach)($250), Camber/Caster plates ($125). And sticky tires ($450).

With this, I reduced my time from 1:38:xx to 1:34:xx at Blackhawk Farms Raceway (2 mile track).
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

IMO sub-frames would be a great first mod. They will really stiffen the chassis up, especilyy a vert.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote