MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #1
SVT30
Registered Member

Default "Positive HP & TQ Gains - SVT Cobra?"

Positive HP & TQ Gains for SVT Cobra

Okay, what would you recommend, to gain HP & TQ out of a SVT Cobra naturally aspirated 4.6 motor?

As we all know, an engine is simply an air pump. So help me with getting air in and then out of an SVT Cobra, naturally aspirated version.

Examples could be:

1) Larger throttle body [$195 or so]?
2) Is SVT factory air-cleaner satisfactory [$95 or so]?
3) Has Cobra factory stainless exhaust, is that good enough?
4) Chip upgrade [about $265 or so]?
5) Or should I get a Tuner [$400 plus]? Allows for easier hook up, I’m told, as well as easier to set straight, if a tech does something to it [government mandates] while doing regular maintenance.

Recommend favored manufacturers and prices if you have them.

I’m not into super or turbo charging, so that’s out. I want my car to “throb,” not “whine.” I like the sound of air being pumped in “naturally” and prefer it being pushed out “naturally.”

Note: Before someone flames me, turbo charging is sometimes okay. Like when trying to squeeze as much juice as one can from a smaller motor. Evo [19 inches, how long before it explodes?] and WRX STi come to mind. Not all carmakers can come up with an S2000 type making naturally aspirated 240 HP from four smallish cylinders.

a) In some cases one can pick up say 11 to 14 HP with bigger throttle body and improved air-cleaner.
b) In some cases a better exhaust system can pick up 14 to 16 HP.
c) Some tell me you can pick up about 15 plus or minus a couple HP with a performance chip or tuner.

My other question is this? Are the above improvements for a SOHC 4.6? Or, as I’m told, the same improvements can be had for a DOHC 4.6?

All told the above comes to about 40 HP more or less, and probably roughly the same TQ. That would make the SVT Cobra 360 HP versus 320 HP, right?

Or are the gains for a SVT Cobra less than for regular SOHC 4.6 which hasn’t been tweaked by the factory?

After all, Ford supercharged the 4.6 to get to 390 HP.

Lastly, I don’t want to go totally nuts here money wise.

Comments welcome . . .
SVT30 is offline   Reply With Quote