MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Stang951
Registered Member

Default Bent a pushrod

Yesterday I finally got the MSD box back (they repaired and updated everything under warratny). After installing it and the noise filter I went for a test drive. Everything was fine. Then I picked up the wife to drive her to the body shop to get her van. On the way there the car started making a horrible popping noise. Then she heard a bang and the engine wouldn't idle at all and stalled out. I pulled into a parking lot and restarted the car. Told her to keep it running and opened the hood. The popping almost made me deaf. No more tapping noise though.
I drove the car home and later on took the passenger side valve cover off:

What I think happend is this:
The pushrod adjuster on the exhaust vavel backed out of the rocker(the tapping noise). It fell all of the way out and the exahust valve would not open. ON the next cycle after it would not open the compression in the cylinder kept the intake valve from opening, causing the pushrod to bend and the rocker bolt to snap in the head. the Rocker arm then rotated toward the exahsaust valve and the pushrod was pressing the rocker arm against the valve stem..hence the new dimple in the side of the rocker.

Now I need some contact info for OMEGA PERFORMANCE. They are the ones who manufactured the rocker arms and I need to see about gettting a new rocker bolt. And I also need to see if maybe I got a defective rocker adjuster and how to check that out.
Anyone got any ideas. I knwo a bunch of people are running Omega stuff, but I can't find anything about them on the web.
Suspension:
Maximum Motorsports Caster-Camber Plates / Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms / FRPP heavy duty upper control arms / Tokico Illumina Shocks and Struts / Ground Pounder Coil Over conversion kit front / Steeda cross brace sub-frame connectors /
Drivetrain:
Tremec 3550 trans / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter / Spec Stage II clutch and pressure plate / Spec aluminum flywheel /

5.8 in the hole
Stang951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
cad614

Not too bad, I have eight bent ones thanks to a defective distributor I got from NAPA.

Hope things turn around for you soon.

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Axman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cad614
Not too bad, I have eight bent ones thanks to a defective distributor I got from NAPA.
Well, at least you didn't get the distributor from Ricer Zone.
Rice Hater's Club member #213

"If you've got it, get more, then flaunt it!"
"...More power, arr arr!" --Tim Allen

1992 LX convertible, 2.3L 165 hp, I can't get it from the wife..
1983 Chevy S-10, 2.8L engine, T4 trans, my daily driver.
1973 VW Beetle, 1.6L engine 57 hp.
1979 Chevy Malibu Wagon, 305/350, 250 hp more on the way.
1978 Honda Frankencivic CVCC, Ford 460 big block, C6 trans, currently rated @208 hp more on the way.
Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #4
Coupe Devil

I bent all 8 intake pushrods once when I installed the timing gear one tooth off. Drove it till it started knocking a little. Yanked the valve covers seen the problem. PUlled those 8 and beat them straight with a hammer and went on.. Never had another problem. ( I also fixed the cam gear when I did it )

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #5
Stang951
Registered Member

The first number(888-338-9169) if for engine works. The second number (866-870-0406) is constantly busy. I found the Omega Performance decals and the phone number on them(863-467-3000) is no good. I get the feeling that I am going to have to buy some new rocker arms from a company that actually still exists.

Before I go and do that though, does anyone know if I can get a bolt that will work with the rockers so I dont have have the car totally dead for a year (daycare for the 2 kids is getting to be a killer).
Suspension:
Maximum Motorsports Caster-Camber Plates / Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms / FRPP heavy duty upper control arms / Tokico Illumina Shocks and Struts / Ground Pounder Coil Over conversion kit front / Steeda cross brace sub-frame connectors /
Drivetrain:
Tremec 3550 trans / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter / Spec Stage II clutch and pressure plate / Spec aluminum flywheel /

5.8 in the hole
Old 06-24-2003, 06:53 PM   #6
Cobra_Phil
Registered Member

Guess what happened to me this weekend?
Pulled the threads right out of the arm.
Luckily no other damage was done that I can tell.
Guess which rocker I am using?

I had a reputable engine builder look at it. He thinks I need to shim the rocker arms up. Did you purchase your engine from CCM?
After seeing your post, I'm not sure I want to use the Omega's any more!!

Last edited by Cobra_Phil; 06-24-2003 at 07:01 PM..
Cobra_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
Stang951
Registered Member

Ya know I got the rockers from Central Coast, but not the motor. I didn't even look at the rocker that close to see if it was damaged. I am going to have to go get it and look at it real quick.
Suspension:
Drivetrain:

5.8 in the hole
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Theres a guy on ffrcobra.com with same problem, same rockers. The pic he sent me looks the same. In fact I thought it was yours.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #9
Stang951
Registered Member

I called David at CCM today and tried to get info on Omega, but all he could give me was the name off a box he had lying around. Maybe someone else will have better luck with them.
If so please post you results.
By the way here are some more pics of mine. I didnt strip the threads in the rocker, but after seeing the damage to the intake rocker and the rest of the threads, I am leary of using them again, even with a new bolt.
Threads look ok:

Intake rocker arm

Suspension:
Drivetrain:

5.8 in the hole
Old 06-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
Cobra_Phil
Registered Member

Did you ever get the broken bold out of the head?
If so, how did you do it?
Any additional information about how or why this happened?
Cobra_Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:58 PM   #11
Stang951
Registered Member

I tried to get it out a little while ago with an easy-out. Fat chance. I had to pull the head and I will have to bring it to a machine shop this week to have the bolt removed. I also got a stainless bolt to replace the broken one and a couple pushrods. Since the head is off I am going to check the other side too for blown head gaskets or the like. If I gotta pull one, might as well pull the other. WHo knows, might even pull the motor.
Suspension:
Drivetrain:

5.8 in the hole