MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Trish_B
Registered Member

Default Swapping Engines/Transmission

I have a motor and transmission from a 03 Cobra (husband wrecked the car..but motor and transmission appear to be ok) that I'd like to transplant into another mustang body. At first we were going to drop it into his 96' cobra but were receiving feedback that the differences between the 96 and 03 mountings would cause us to fabricate a lot of connections.

My question is: If I bought a pony..say 99 and up..would those bodies accommodate the motor and transmission (6 speed) ok? Or what would you all advise?
Trish_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
bad289
Registered Member

Default Re: Swapping Engines/Transmission

Check out August '07 Hot Rod magizine. There is a good story on swapping "mod" motors into older mustangs.
bad289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
thors_1
5.4 supercharged mustang

a guess but I'm putting a 5.4 in mine and I looked at a cobra engine to go in mine so here's what I think.for sure a 99 up and if yours is a cobra it's a dohc & a standard. I'd look for a 99 up that had a dohc and was also a standard. other wise you'l need to change/add to the wireing from a sohc to work with your dohc, need the cobra ecm as well. I'm not a mechanic so you better ask someone with knowledge.
thors_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

As far as physically putting that stuff in another car, the drivetrain will bolt right into any Fox based car with the right k-member and modification to the tranny cross-member. The main issue people run into is the differences in the wiring.
For my swap I had a donor car so I was able to use all that stuff on mine.
Also, someone mentioned that you need the Cobra ECM, which is not necessarily true. I know several people who have used their 99-04 GT ECM with a custom tune and they run fine. Just a pain to figure out the wiring.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
thors_1
5.4 supercharged mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue00gt View Post
As far as physically putting that stuff in another car, the drivetrain will bolt right into any Fox based car with the right k-member and modification to the tranny cross-member. The main issue people run into is the differences in the wiring.
For my swap I had a donor car so I was able to use all that stuff on mine.
Also, someone mentioned that you need the Cobra ECM, which is not necessarily true. I know several people who have used their 99-04 GT ECM with a custom tune and they run fine. Just a pain to figure out the wiring.
I'm switching out my 4.6L to a 5.4L. both are 2 valve engines. If I install a.... cobra 4.6L dohv I need a different ECM. if you can give a link to where you can get your ECM redone/custom tuned from a single to a double it would save a lot of people some cash.I've never heard of anyone doing it, but then I'm not a mechanic and know nothing about the newer electrical on a car.
thors_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thors_1 View Post
I'm switching out my 4.6L to a 5.4L. both are 2 valve engines. If I install a.... cobra 4.6L dohv I need a different ECM. if you can give a link to where you can get your ECM redone/custom tuned from a single to a double it would save a lot of people some cash.I've never heard of anyone doing it, but then I'm not a mechanic and know nothing about the newer electrical on a car.
you dont need a new ECU... you just need for a good tuner to tune it.... a buddy of mine has a 4v with a C4 in a 98gt still using the stock ECU

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish_B View Post
I have a motor and transmission from a 03 Cobra (husband wrecked the car..but motor and transmission appear to be ok) that I'd like to transplant into another mustang body. At first we were going to drop it into his 96' cobra but were receiving feedback that the differences between the 96 and 03 mountings would cause us to fabricate a lot of connections.

My question is: If I bought a pony..say 99 and up..would those bodies accommodate the motor and transmission (6 speed) ok? Or what would you all advise?

the motor will work fine in the 96 cobra.... you will need a good tune.... trans mount from a 03 cobra... depending on if you keep the stock style return syle fuel system or returnless then you might need a new ECU

one thing you will need is a different hood

the list for either swap is long and can get pricey

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
LonnieD
Registered Member

I don't know who told you that the 03 wouldn't bolt into your 96 Cobra but it will. You will need to fab up the trans mount. As for the EEC/PCMs, you can use your stock 96 and have it reflashed. I know, I've done this many times. The same for those wanting to swap a 5.4, that I've also done. What you will run into with the 03/04 Cobra swap is it has a few extra sensors and actuators. You don't need some of them but who ever you use for the tuning needs to know which ones you are using and they (if they know) will tell you which ones you have to keep. Also, you will have to come up with your own inner cooler circuit to run the pump. Most of the wiring is pretty straight forward but spend the extra time to purchase and go through a EVTM for both years so that you have everything covered for the wiring.

Now if you want you can go with the 03 wiring harness and EEC since it will pretty much drop right in to your 96. I would use all the 03 under hood fuse boxes to make things easier.
LonnieD is offline   Reply With Quote