MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2001, 03:42 PM   #1
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Exclamation Need help, MSD and factory tach

Ok here is the problem, I have my MSD box in and love it but of course the factroy tach dosen't work now. So I pulled the instrument guage pack and pulled the tach wires loose. I should preface this by saying that I just don't know jack about electrical. I plugged one side of the two prong plug back into the wiring harness and attempted to plug the msd tack port into the other. Car didn't start. After playing with it for a while, I figured out the tach has to be plugged in for car to run. Damn tach is hooked throught the ignition. Anyway, how do I get the tach hooked up the the msd box and make the car run? Do I just need the adapter kit? Do I run a closed loop through the tach harness and splice in the tach? Anyone done this before? Thanks
Bill
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 02:30 AM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I had the same thing happen to me. My factory tach wire went bad and the car would not start. So i just bypassed the factor tach and bought a auto meter tach and pluged it up and was ready to go. 30 year old wires are the best.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 mark III
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 07:16 PM   #3
Rizz67
Registered Member

Talking

I had the same thing for my 67 mustang, I have a 6al, Blaster 2 coil and a Dist. all by MSD. You must by the tach adapter kit for it to work. Theres 2 models one for Magentic Pickup and other for standered firing, i have magnetic pickup. The adapter has several wires, white, which goes into the MSD box, black which is ground, purple which i didnt need to use, and red, which goes to the tach gauge. I extended the red wire so it could reach the inside. I sliced the black wire going into the tach, and sodered the red to it, you must have a complete connection to keep the circuit alive.(otherwise the car will not start) Which means the black wire must still be attached to the gauge,u just add the red wire to it.

[This message has been edited by Rizz67 (edited 02-07-2001).]
Rizz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 10:58 PM   #4
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Hey thanks Rizz. I thought that was the answer but am glad to hear it from someone else.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
bones812
Registered Member

Default Re: Need help, MSD and factory tach

I am having the same problem with the MSD and factory tach. How did you resolve this problem?
bones812 is offline   Reply With Quote