MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-07-2002, 03:21 PM   #1
wade73
Registered Member

Question temp gauge

i am curious about where the needle on the temperature gauge should be. right now, mine stays right at the "n" on "normal", and i think this might be running a little cool, keeping the computer fooled that it is in a constant state of warm up, making the mixture rich.

i bought the car used from a dealer and they had no idea if the previous owner installed a cooler thermostat than what should be in there.

the car runs great (smoked a friend's 99 Q45 by three car lengths the other day), decent gas mileage (18-20 in various driving conditions). i tend to be a little paranoid about my car, as the least little hiccup makes me run to the dealer like a little girl. is there such a thing as being a autohypochondriac????? LOL

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
96GTPRT
Registered Member

My car has only bolt-ons including a Hypertech 160* thermostat and my car runs with the gauge at the A in NORMAL. I think thats kind of hot. I dont drive it really hard and nothing is wrong with it. It runs fine. Thats just my experience.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 PM   #3
wade73
Registered Member

i would think that as long as the needle is within "normal" everything should be fine...the exhaust doesnt smell rich, but still, i am a little concerned about it. i have thought about just changing the thermostat...simple and cheap enough to do.

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

I forgot to mention something Wade73. I changed out my thermostat cuse my car ran really hot for a while. I took out the old one to find the piece of metal around the bottom had broken and slide to the side, which did not allow the thermostat to open at all hardly.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote