MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-14-2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Default Tire recommedation

My son just purchsed a 1996 Mustang GT. The tires that are on it are Goodyear 245/45/17 F1 GS. They are cupped and ride hard. They also are very loud on the highway. I am looking for suggestions on which tires to replace the Goodyears with. I looked at the Continental Extreme Contact tires and the Pirelli P-Nero M&S at the Tire Rack Store on the Web. Would appreicate ansy suggestions for this tire purchase.

Thanks,
31648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

I use sumitomo HTR+, W-rated, I think. Main reason, they're fairly inexpensive at tirerack.com. I live in Atl. and drive 70 miles roundtrip on I-75 to work, so I get both real world conditions. I would recommend them. They provide all the traction I need (daily driving) and work well in the rain. However, they are not an aggressive tire...but, I'm not an aggressive driver. They are farely soft and wear somewhat quickly, but they do a very good job at stopping (especially when a conversion van tries to pull out across seven lanes...).

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:49 AM   #3
Torinalth
Registered Member

i ran 255/40/17 nitto NT555 Extreme IIs on my GT... not loud at all, great traction and even wear... cheap tires too... www.discounttiredirect.com or www.tires.com is where i got mine... low cost and great performance... they do get loud though when its raining... never understood that... other than that i can never hear em

Torinalth
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I recently did some pretty extensive research on tires for my Mustang (2000 GT Conv). My car wears 245/25/17's. I fond a lot of good information and I wanted to share my results with you.

As the old Michelin commercials used to say "You have a lot riding on your tires." When it comes to tires, "this is where the rubber meets the road." Does no good if you have all the power in the world, if you can't get the car to reliably transfer that power to the road and be able to drive in conditions where you live.

Obviously, some drivers feel very strongly about the tires they use or should not use...and, like anything else, cost is a factor.

So, as a result of the comments that I received either on another message board or via emails AND my own research, I have come up with the following top picks for Mustang owners. I literally read dozens and dozens of reviews from mustang owners(you would think I have nothing better to do, but hey, it's fun and it only costs me sleep).

My car has 245/45/17's so I only have listed tires that are avialable in this size. Also, the prices that I have given are for this size only but can be used for price comparison. These prices are sort of an average and do not include freight, tax, or installation. I have only included ultra-high performance tires that are considered summer tires with one exception. I listed this last tire, because the reviews were so high for this tire, that I felt it deserved to be mentioned. This particular tire is an "all season tire" and might be a great choice for someone, like your son.

So here are "My Top Picks" (listed in order of price):

1 - Kumho ECSTA Supra $89.00
Reviews for this tire were exceptionally high! There were many surprised users especially when considering price. Great dry and wet traction. Also, many users were impressed with longevity. Many reported 25-30k miles on a set. F-1 style tread pattern with aqua line running down the center (may not be appealling to some).

2 - Sumitomo HTRZ II - $102
Reviews for this tire are very similar to the Kumhos. Gorgeous tread pattern and very quite tire. I use this tire and have been very, very happy with it. Hard to break loose...and great in the rain. Good price and you will get good wear.

3 - Yokohama AVS ES 100 - $112
Once again, a beautiful tire. #1 Choice by TireRack consultants for the Mustang (but remember, they don't sell all brands). First rate tire (but is it worth the additional cost over the Kumho or Sumi?).

4 - Nitto 555 - $125
This is a tire that is available as a drag tire or street tire. Drag tire cost about $25 more, but will not be for everyone. For those of you that are racing and not commuting too much, the drag radial version should be your top-pick. The tire is truly brilliant, however, you will only get about 15,000 miles from it without spending any time at the track. If you could have two sets of tires and wheels, this drag version should be one of them! However, it is just not very practical. So, I have only listed the Nitto 555. The 555 keeps the same F-1 design as all the other above listed tires. Great looking tire too and is priced similar to the others. I had a hard time finding too many comments from users, but most seemed to really love it.

5 - BFGoodwrich TA KDW - $159
Hard to find anyone with a complaint about this tire. May be the best tire in the rain of the top 4. As the most costly of the bunch, I would only recomend this tire to those that don't mind paying more. The tread pattern is different from the others, and in my opion, does not look as nice. Tends to look more like an all-season tire.

6 - Continental Conti Extreme Contact - $113.
Wins the award for longest tire name! This is the only "all season" tire in the group but has the highest overall rating of the group. This tire is actually rated an 8.4 out of 10 for snow traction while all the others should not be driven in the snow. You will loose very little, if any, dry traction by using this tire and will get 40,000 miles on them. If you live in the snow belt and can't put the car away in the winter, then buy this tire. There is no better choice. Tread pattern is very attractive, but not as nice as the Kumho, Sumi, or Yoko in my opion.

Well, hopefully you will find this info useful I had fun putting this together. If you live where it snows, then go with the Continentals unless you plan on getting a snow tire or putting the car away. Otherwise, my choice would be the Sumitomo listed above if price is a consideration. You will NOT be dissapointed and will be amazed at the difference over the OEM's.

Let me know what you decide to do.
- Blake

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:18 AM   #5
Torinalth
Registered Member

very nice writeup, and very similer to my own findings...

one thing to take into account though... is how do you want to do in corners.... if you like to corner HARD like i do, then you need a tire with a very stiff sidewall.. when i was looking to get my tires i handled the sumitumo and the kumhos..... i could flex the sidewall easily with my hands, and if i can do that with my hands, then what my 90# turn at 40 going to do to it....

i have not handled the yohko, so i cant comment on that one, but the nitto and BFG were very nice... the nitto ave almost no flex unless i realy wrenched it... and with its price, and grip, was the obvious choice for me.... the BFG would NOT flex, period... and if i had the extra cash (and never seen them for as cheap as he listd) i woulda gotten them..... but price made me get the nitto NT555 Extreme IIs.

i have never seen that continental so i dunno about its sidewall flex...

on a side note for longevity... I've had my 555s for 5000 miles and cant notice a difference in tread wear... nice even wear and still look new (except for the semi chalky feet from all the construction where i live, damn trucks)

Torinalth
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 AM   #6
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Something to think about

Just remember that performance oriented tires are going to be loud because the softer the rubber the more slapping affect the tread has when the contact patch meets the road. Performance tires should ride better than lower rated tires... As to the original post, Eagle F1 Gs's is about the best riding tire you can by (I speak from experience)... and i say that to say this... don't forget what kind of kind of car you are ridding in. Mustangs aren't supposed to ride good (although compaired to Camaro's and firebirds, they ride like Caddy's). Its a performance car, not a limo... ... I do however think that the F1's Have a little road noise to them... but If your more concerned about the ride than the noise... U should pick up some New shocks and suspension components.

But if you just want to change tires and u want some suggestions on what to put on the car... BFGoodrich, Nitto, Falken, Kumho, pirelli, or any of the various Japanese brands are good replacements.

The original tires on the car were 245/45 17 BFGoodrich Comp T/As I think ... They are probably a good tires considering ford used them As Original Equipment... Just a few things to think about... hope it helps...
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

"I Like anything Fast Enough to Do Something Stupid In"
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Man, qouted a Michelin add and didn't say anything about some Michelin's.

The Pilot Sport A/S's are pretty good, I've been working on wearing a set out. Good in the dry, good in the wet, waiting for it to snow to see how they do, but snow in Southern Va is a hit or miss thing.

They are on the expensive side, I think I paid right at 1k for the set installed with taxes.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I simply left out the Mich tires due to price. I read a number of reviews from people who had gone from a high-priced Pilot tires to some of the others that I mentioned and said they would never purchase the Pilot (or similar again).

While the Mich tires are truly great tires, I personally was concerned about the value. The other thing to consider is the cost of our Mustangs. We are in an age where our local Ford dealer advertised 2003 GT's for something like $17k brand new. Paying $1k for tires seems to me to be an aweful lot of money considering the value of the car. And many of us on this msg board have vehicles far less in value.

Please let us know as time goes how you fare with your new tires regarding performance and longevity.

Best Wishes!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 10-22-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Got a Statement and a Question...

First off, Mich. and good year have great tires, i speak from experience... but I agree with blake they are way 2 expensive for no more performance than you get... As soon as the mich. and goodyear excutive's and owners stop putting so much money in their pocket and drop the price of the tires a little bit, I may be more apt to buy some more... Secondly, Blake where have you seen a New 2003 GT for $17k ????? The last time i checked (10 Minutes ago ) u couldn't get a base GT for less than $23-26K... hell A base 6CYL Cost $18,345 ... And your right, Not everybody has a huge budget !! I paid for everything on my car, and i'm sure not going to thow away $1-2K on tires...
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

Old 10-22-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Coccia Ford (Plains, PA) was advertising big discounts on many cars and trucks a little over a month ago. I may have inadvertantly, exagerated by using the $17k figure, however, I did some checking and they had GT's listed at below $19k (2003). It will be interesting to see what will happen to 2004 prices at the end of the model year with the new 2005's on the horizon.

My Stang:
Old 10-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #11
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Holy Crap!

Holy Crap!

Thats Cheap As Dirt... I know a guy at a ford dealership and he can give me relatively good prices... pretty close to the first invoice... Not the sticker... and The best i could get from his was like 22K+ ... Come to think of it, it may just be the area i'm in... About 2 weeks ago i went to the Big Street Rod show in tampa florida, and i stopped by brandon Ford (i think it was called) they had so many mustangs it was like i was in a candy store... The sticker on a stage3 roush was only $29K Usually $36K here in georgia... the cobras were as usual $40K .... anyway man they had saleens, Roushs, Cobras, GTs and in any Nationality (color) you wanted them... I met a cool salesman while i was there too, he let me testdrive a supercharged roush, saleen, and 2 O3 Cobras... One was the dealerships and he let me drive his... All i can say is going to the ford place was more fun than going to the car show... Believe it or not... ...... Anyway maybe in PA there are different tax deals and stuff or maybe its because georgia is so *** backwards... that may have a lot to do with it ... Eitherway thats a good deal... They may also be trying to clear the lots for the 04's ..... in either case i don't plan on buying one anytime soon as i have too much money and time in mine... I'm still kinda partial to the SN95's Too...

Old 10-23-2003, 03:47 PM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Snake:

I live in the "Coal Region" of PA. There is not a lot of money around here. My neighboor bought a 2003 GT Conv (auto) with chrome wheels and leather...$26K from this local dealer. I stock GT with no options is $22,500 list (I checked) and there is a $3k rebate now. I am sure this dealer is discounting even further (or at least they were).

When you are ready for your next Mustang, give me a call. Come to think of it, sounds like you know the places to go. Perhaps we should have a meeting at that dealer. How in the world did you keep from buying one?

My Stang:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: