MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
chiaronate
Registered Member

Default tps on new throttle body

hey, i recently installed a mac throttle body, and it doesn't seem to be working with my throttle position sensor. i used the tps from my factory throttle body and it idles at about 2000 rpm. does anyone know how to fix this problem?

current performance mods:
80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears
dynomax super turbo mufflers
diablosport predator programmer

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
chiaronate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:13 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Most likely the TPS is bad or on wrong. They are easy to mess up when removing rom the old TB. Buy a new one they are about $25 at auto parts places.

Other than that, it could be that the IAC is stuck open or a vacum hose is off. Try the TPS first.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
chiaronate
Registered Member

i'm pretty sure it's the tps because it idles normal when i disconnect it. if i put on a new tps, will it have to be adjusted, or should it work with the mac throttle body without changing the screw holes? how do they get messed up from removing them?

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 09-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Luka
Registered Member

Do you have access to a scan tool or multi-meter?
If scan tool chk your TP pid an chk the voltage.....usually around .9 volts for fords... .5 GM
Should be at or allmost 5v at WOT....
quik easy chk without haveing to throw parts at it to try to fix it.

Alot of the time when switching Throttle bodies you need to set minimum idle with the IAC valve unbluged...could possibly be your problem aswell. You should have a throttle stop on there somewhere that can be turned in-out as needed. Try that stuff out before spending cash on something that may be an easy fix.

Luka
Luka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
chiaronate
Registered Member

Default iac valve?

what is involved in setting the minimum idle with the iac unplugged? should i disconnect the battery to reset the computer? is it possible that i would have to adjust the tps so that it works with the mac throttle body? i've already messed up my tps when i was testing it with the voltmeter. i'm getting a new one tomorrow, and i was going to disconnect the negative battery terminal before installing it. would this work?

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 09-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #6
chiaronate
Registered Member

Default fixed it!

hey, i fixed my tps problem. i recently got a mac 70mm throttle body to replace my factory 65mm throttle body and the idle was hanging with the tps in place. so, i used a voltmeter and got a reading of .90 volts with the factory 65mm in place. i installed the mac throttle body and sensor and the sensor reading was 1.01 or so. so i used a drill to change the hole sizes in the tps until i got a reading of .90 with it on the throttle body. the strange thing is, i had a bit of a hanging idle with the factory throttle body and tps in place with the tps at .90. with the mac throttle body installed, i have no hanging idle at all at the same tps voltage. i mean, the idle drops quickly after i let off the gas, so i get that added bonus. just thought i'd post my experience so that someone else can benefit from it.

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters