MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2001, 10:55 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Question Tranny Cooler??

What is it, what does it do, how much, how tough to install, where to get it, etc, etc....Thanks.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 11:35 PM   #2
Y2KGT
Registered Member

A tranny cooler is a radiator that your tranny fluid flows through. I'm not familiar with the automatic transmission setup on the 2000, but it probably runs fluid through the factory radiator somehow.

There are basically two types of coolers that I am aware of. One runs the fluid through a long tube that has fins around it. The other type actually runs fluid THROUGH the fins. The type that runs fluid through the fins is supposed to do a much better job than the type that has a long tube.

On my '66 Coupe, I ran the fluid through a tranny cooler in addition to the factory one in the radiator. I used a B&M cooler that routes the fluid through the fins. I don't think the cooler helped me much because the right header was touching the return line ...of course that was foolish act of my teenage years!

I think this answers your first two questions, but I don't know how much or if it will help your GT. You might want to talk to some auto trans shops that advertise in mags like 5.0 and Muscle Mustang.

------------------
2000 GT -- Black, 5sp, Mach460, Bassani CatBack & X-Pipe, MAC Cold Air, 70mm TB, Tri-Ax Shifter
1966 Mustang Coupe -- Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Int, A-Code, C4 Auto
------------------
scott@pearland.com

[This message has been edited by Y2KGT (edited 04-23-2001).]
Y2KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 12:42 AM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I went to B&M Racing and checked up on the coolers, but I dont think I should need one anytime soon, since Im still stock. Any further info though is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2001, 03:44 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

You DO NEED ONE even while your stock. Its such cheap insurance. I have the B&M 24,000gvw cooler. I'd get something at least 18,000gvw, but really, the bigger the better. Heat leads to 90% of all problems with an auto tranny.

I got talking to an engineer from Roush when I joined the Thunderbird Club, and he basically said that a tranny cooler should be one of your first mods you ever do.

From Jeg's or Summit its only like $45, + the price for an extra quart of tranny fluid. I would pay $50 to make my trans last longer any day of the week.

As far as install, its a more time consuming then changing brake pads or something, but its not very hard or impossible. You just have to be calm and able to deal w/ working in tight spaces. And if you don't want to install it, you should be able to have it done for like $80-110.

------------------
2001 SVT Lightning (red): Many mods to come- Let the Vette killer begin to take shape

1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax exhaust, Lightning 80mm MAF, Accufab MAF adapter, 7" powerstack cone filter, B&M 24,000GVW trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, many more to come...15.2 @ 91. Not bad for a 3800lb auto 4.6L

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:11 AM   #5
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, 91LX2beFast.

If it's cheap insurance, I might as well do it. Again, thanks.