MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Transmission Swap (Detailed Question)

I'm down to the engine and tranny now, I've got a few options but before I spent too much money I wanted to run a few things by anyone whos' installed transmissions on late model Mustangs.
The car has a 5-speed manual, I know putting in a 5-speed AOD would be more than just bolt and go, what exactly would I have to replace or remove to make that work?....Also, I'm not sure (since the 2003 Mach 1 was made in small numbers with an AOD) if the Ford 2003 AOD transmission will bolt with the engine, even if it originally came in a car with a 5-speed Manual.
Finally, is it possible for me to introduce the new engine computer with the instument cluster myself?..A friend of mine said I might be able to do it with a Predator tuner, but I think that was garbage.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Re: Transmission Swap (Detailed Question)

I'll try my best to answer this question without blowing your mind too much.

If you want to change over to an AOD, it's not that bad. You will have to change the trans mount, remove your clutch and brake pedals, all the associated hardware, and then install the new pedals, linkage, shifter console, and so on. You will have to reflash the computer so that the computer "sees" the new transmission. You may have to get yourself a new computer, if you don't want to do the whole tuner thing. I would suggest that you take it to a professional and let them do it. This way you have someone else to blame when something doesn't work correctly. Just kidding. It isn't all that bad, and I would be glad to walk you through it. You can call the shop anytime you like, and we can answer any questions you may have, or atleast point you in the right direction.

Quote:
is it possible for me to introduce the new engine computer with the instument cluster myself?..A friend of mine said I might be able to do it with a Predator tuner, but I think that was garbage.
You shouldn't have to "introduce" anything. It should be as simple as plug and play.

Hope this helps some. Later.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

I'd like to stop by but NY and NC (unfortunately) are'nt neighbors..I appreciate the offer though. The reason I want to convert this car after any and all engine work is done is because I drive the car every day, and for two reasons an AOD or AODE will be better right now: I enjoy the 5-speed Ford tranny but I have a tendency to beat on it, its' hard to drive a car like this slowely every morning on the way to work. Also I think having a more controlled gear-shifting pattern will save my gas, which is forever too high. I know, cars like this should never have automatic transmissions...but to at least tell people I put it in myself will save a little of my pride. Will I need a new drive shaft? How about new crossmembers? I see aftermarket AODs' that are designed for specific Mustangs and prorated for racing with the promise of smooth everyday driving...are these a better idea than going to Ford? Lastly, most importantly, will doing this the right way in any way harm the car over a period of time?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

OK....here's what we got. You will actually get better gas milage with teh stick, you just have to learn self control(very hard I know), you will also loose power. You will need atleast a new driveshaft yoke from the output shaft. I would suggest that you get on ebay and find yourself a complete tranny, wiring harness, computer, driveshaft, and etc. You may pay more up front, but it's better than getting nickle and dimed to death getting the rest of the stuff you need. If you are in NY check out the guys over at Mustang Magic. They should be more than willing to help you out.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Thats a good shop, they've helped me out of a couple of jams with this car. Last year when I had the stock hood off (while I was in the middle of rebuilding the body) the cover blew off in a rainstorm and my engine was waterlogged and completely dead. I called Joe over there are turns out all I had to do was take out the fuel injectors and vaccum the water out of them. Worked, however when I put them back in I accidentally left one halfway out when I took the car for a test peel...My neighbor points behind me and shows me the 5 gallons of gasoline I just covered the road in. Live and learn...and buy gas. I may go for the entire engine/transmission swap from Ford Racing..I wanted either the 2003 Mach 1 or SVT Cobra motor...And I think you're right, I'd definately lose power with an AOD. Time to learn how to eeeeease of the clutch. Thanks for the help.