MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-23-2002, 08:01 PM   #1
jasonfrance
Registered Member

Angry New Wheels and Fender Grind

Howdy,

I'm brand new to the forum, obviously, and have recently purchased a 68 Mustang Coupe. It had the stock wheels and rims on it (14x6 with 195x60 I believe or maybe 205x60).

Well, the first thing we wanted to do is put nice wheels on it! So I did some research and found this site: http://www.classic-mustang.net/jay/shelby/wheels.html. Looked pretty good, so I decided on getting some rims based on that site.

I went with a 15x8 with 4" backspacing in a chrome punch out style (40 bucks a rim). Then I went with the Yokohama YK420 in size 195x60.

I got them on and went for a drive. As soon as I hit a dip in the road the driver's side front tire went into the fender and gouged the sidewall up! The tire didn't blow, but there's chunks missing.

I managed to get the wheel well lip pushed back up, it wasn't too bad. But now I can't drive my Stang!!

I do think my shocks are shot. You can push the fender right into the tire with your bare hands. You can also pull up on the wheel well causing about 5-6" of clearance between the lip and the rubber. That doesn't seem right.

I called around to find some information. Talked to a couple other 'stang buddies... Found a website: http://www.drgas.com/ I called them up, wanting to know more about Progressive Rate Coil Springs. The guy told me I need to get their Wedge Camber Correction kit too ($239). I decided to just get the 390/520 lbs per inch springs ($159). And some new shocks, probably KYB.

Is there anything else I may be missing? It only did it on the driver's side, and I had to drive home at 10 mph. And it didn't do it with the old wheel s and rims!! And I know I'm dumb, because I've already ditched the old wheels/rims... I'll post pictures when I get home for work.

Am I an idiot for getting that size rim? Should I have gotten a 7" rim?? What do you think??

<this was first posted on StangNet>
jasonfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 06:09 AM   #2
zach0
Registered Member

I had a similar problem with mine too. i had a 4.5" backspacing though. Mine would catch on the fender well when I would make a turn. I was able to corrrect this by hamering the lip of the well up a little bit. It was shreading my tires up.
1980 RX7 with 289 Ford V-8 bored .030 over, Very radical cam, Torker 2 high rise intake, Holley 650 Carb, MSD Nascar 6ALN ignition, MSD coil and distributor, Headers with dual open side exhaust. Over 300 horse.

1966 Mustang still in progress
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 06:15 AM   #3
jasonfrance
Registered Member

So you just rolled your lip a little higher? I'm not sure if I have 4.00 or 4.5 BS. I thought I told the guy 4.5... arrghh...

I was thinking about having a body shop roll the lip about .5" up.

I'm going to check the backspacing today. And I have new coils and shocks coming in the mail. So maybe a combo of those will fix it.

I wanna drive her!
jasonfrance is offline   Reply With Quote