MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-20-2001, 07:01 PM   #1
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Arrow Installing new Tremec 3550 - a few questions

I just sold my T5 today (actually it will be sold this Friday), and am looking at purchasing a Tremec 3550 in the next couple weeks.

First, is the Tremec a quality piece? I have heard good and bad from a local transmission shop and now they've got me reconsidering. They said something about the "older" models were much stronger and built better, while the "newer" Tremecs (3550's) don't have the same quality snycros, gear sets or input shafts. Has anyone heard of this?

Second, how difficult is the 3550 install? I have heard that I will need to break a couple welds somewhere and then re-weld. I am not totally sure what needs to be cut and re-welded, so any additional information/details would be appreciated. Plus I don't think I have the tools to break the welds and would have to take it somewhere for re-welding.

Third, for those of you who have Tremecs, how do they shift? Do you like them? Reliable?

I plan on adding a ProCharger (at some point - you guys are probably sick of me saying that one! ) but the car will remain on drag radials with 2.0 60's I'm sure!

Thanks in advance for the input.
E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 11:15 PM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

I love the tremecs. The shifts are a little notchy compared to the t5, but that is the price to pay for a stronger transmission.You do have to grind off the welds off the crossmember to move it back some, but all you need is a simple cut off grinder to do it.
I just orderd a TKO II for my drag car and I am swaping my 3550 in my 93lx this weekend. I heard that the AOD crossmember would not have to be modified for the tremecs but I guess I'll find out this weekend.
If you have any questions just E-mail me I'll try to help you out.

------------------
NA 347 W/ stage 2 Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam, Aeromotive fuel system.
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 11:55 PM   #3
Chris_H
Registered Member

Well I've had my 3550 for about 2 years now. As far as the "older" ones being better than the "newer" ones, I don't know how true that is with the syncros and the gears. I know the newer transmission cases are supposed to be stronger than the older ones. I guess the older ones used to crack under pressure, and they have reinforced the newer cases. I had problems with mine not wanting to go into 3rd or 4th for about 6 months after I bought it. It didn't do it all the time, but from time to time, I would swear that car didn;t have a 3rd and 4th gear. Just acted like there wasn't any gates for the shifter to go through. Like WADS56 said, you do need to cut the mount out and move it back a few inches for the 3550 to bolt up properly. The shifts are notchy, but they also feel a lot closer together. Hope this helps.

Chris
Chris_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:39 AM   #4
bigredstang
Registered Member

I switched from and AODE to the 3550 in my 95GT and didnt have to change anything except the H-pipoe and that was because I used the McCloud Blow Proof bellhousing and the cats of the stock pipe hit the bellhousing. Also I did have to change the speedo gear on the VSS, but the VSS just bolted in. Be warned that I couldnt find anyone who had O2s in stock when I changed the H-pipe.

Greg
bigredstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 12:42 PM   #5
fordgasm
Registered Member

I have had my Tremec for a few years now without any problems.

The installation is pretty simple, like the others said you need to cut the welds on the cross member but no big deal. I just took my cross member out, cut the welds and moved the supposrts all the way back and then rewelded them. When I bolted in the transmission the holes aligned, they are slots so you have a little room to play.

The shifting is notchy I guess, but Ireally like the feel of the crisp clean shifts. IMHO, a very good mod.

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 04:51 PM   #6
Mac347
Registered Member

Smile

Wads56 is right the aod crossmember will work with no modifications. I just installed my 3550 last weekend. fairly straight forward swap.

------------------
Clint MacAulay
88GT 347
150 NOS
Mac347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 03:04 PM   #7
tommyquest
Registered Member

Thumbs up

The only differences I've read about and noticed are the older ones had a problem with the ears(where it mounts to the bellhousing) breaking under high stress loads.They have since strengthened those areas. The cases on the newer Tremecs are stronger with more cross webbing cast into the sides. Also they have 3 teflon pads on the shift forks as opposed to 2 in the older ones.
tommyquest is offline   Reply With Quote