MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
urstangsmoke
Addict

Default uh-oh .... need help

about 3 weeks ago, i installed bbk long tubes on my 03 gt. everything was kick ass .. until today. it was fine on my way into work, then started it up on my lunch and a knocking-clanging was coming from underneath. i checked all the header bolts and h-pipe bolts, everything is tight and seems fine. it seems there is plenty of room between the steering column and header, and also the k-member and header. i think i have narrowed it down to the driver side header. it does this idle as well as in gear, and obviously gets faster as the rpm's go up. anyone have a clue or suggestion?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

What kind of Header Gaskets did you use? Could be a blown collector, or header gasket.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

My passenger side BBK longtube was tapping on my k-member and making a sound like what you describe when you got on the throttle. How much clearance do you have between the headers and the k-member? I think I only had 1/8" or so with the aftermarket k-member I used to have.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
urstangsmoke
Addict

i used the stock gaskets. i havent been able to get to my buddy's garage to jack it up yet, but from what i can see i have no clearance issues. plenty of room with the steering column and about a half inch with the k-member on both sides. i was thinking possibly the cat?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
urstangsmoke
Addict

got it up on the jack today, seems its definitely the catS .. yeah, both of them. dropped the h-pipe, and apparently the rear half of the material broke off in the back and is bouncing around inside the cat. calling BBK today, trying to get new h-pipe, if not ... then dummy-cat it is. just beat out the internals and weld a pipe through it
Old 10-09-2004, 05:59 AM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by urstangsmoke
got it up on the jack today, seems its definitely the catS .. yeah, both of them. dropped the h-pipe, and apparently the rear half of the material broke off in the back and is bouncing around inside the cat. calling BBK today, trying to get new h-pipe, if not ... then dummy-cat it is. just beat out the internals and weld a pipe through it
(cats) what are these?

are they needed and if so for what

Oh wait I get it J/K I passed the E-test withouut my cats and with long tubes and dumped muffs but it all depends on which test they do by you

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:00 AM   #7
urstangsmoke
Addict

haha nice ... not too worried about the e-test, i have friends in places but i am surprised that you passed ... you must have one finely tuned machine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: