MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-16-2001, 10:37 PM   #1
rbatson

Red face Valve cover breather and oil?

I'm almost afraid to ask this.. I've got about 2k miles on this 331 stroker(Keith Craft) and vortech a-trim@8lbs. I noticed what I thought to be oil coming from the valve cover breather. Enough came out to start dripping on the engine and burn.

I had the fuel pressure up waaayyyy too much and thought maybe it could possibly be fuel, umm.. probably not.

I will try to give it a compression test tomorrow and see how that goes. I really will be sick if I have to rebuild it with only 2K miles on it.

Experiences?? Suggestions??

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 2/21/2001)
My 97 Cobra
Old 03-17-2001, 03:08 AM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

fuel pressure whould have nothing to do with this..first lets rule out some things..do you have a baffle in the valve cover so oil cannot directly splash up into the breather?are you using a k&n style breather or more of a chrom convential breather and if so a convetionial does it have a PVC built into it or is it just a breather???is it happening on the otherside or do you not have one on the other side???is the PVC in the back of the intake hooked up???if so where 2(i.e. the TB port or the intake)remove the upper intake and see if you have oil in it??check these things then we can go from there..i know where ur comming from cuz i fixed oil in the intake and oil commming from breathers on a couple cars b4..also look in summit i belive and they have adapter that cure such a problem with a piece that goes inline with the breather and allows only gasses to escape..no oil..comething to look into..i havenet had to use one yet but they look like they would work well

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 09:41 PM   #3
rbatson

Hey, thanks for the reply..

I have comp cam valve covers, the same as the old hartman(if you remember those). I seem to remember a cover but after talking to my mustang guru its apparent that it has no baffle. I have a K&N breather, easy to pass oil(or any thing else). I will fool around with it some tomorrow(sick today ). I will post more details later, as I find them.

Sitting here typing this I heard some 4 banger ride by and over rev his engine... What is it with these guys?!?!
Old 03-18-2001, 12:30 AM   #4
gp001
Registered Member

I had the same problem when I first built my 347. I had ALOT of oil coming out the breathers. I was using the Comp valve covers (the composite ones right?) with the universal breather stand and clamp on K&N breather. I was told the strokers produce more crankcase pressure and you need to have a good venting system and a good baffle. I switched to Trick Flow tall valve covers and am using a baffle and it has solved the problem. I don't know if you can use the tall covers (I am carb'd) but a good baffle should help

------------------
347, 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, 4 wheel power disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:43 AM   #5
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

if you dont have nay baffles then def try out those inline baffle thingies from jegs ro summit..they go inline with your breather..my buddy just had to take his new K&N style breather off cuz he was running without a baffle..i welded a baffle into mine(Morroso chromies) but i still get lil traces of smoke from my k&N breather..no oil pouring out like my buddys was..maybee ill try out one of those inline baffles also..i want to put a breather on the other side also..i only have a 3/8" plen spacer now but with my new hod i will put a 1" with the 3/8" and fit one on the other side..its worth the hassle to have non leaking valve covers

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:38 PM   #6
rbatson

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, I was really worried about this. I'm buying some chrome ford covers, from Beni, that have a good baffle. The ones I have are the composite(plastic type), they are blue. I had some nice crinkled alum. covers to start with but they wouldn't clear the roller rockers so I had to trade them back with Holcomb for something that would work. These I'm getting from Beni are taller. I have a 1/2" plenum, I think they should fit ok.

I'll let you guys know if this doesn't fix my problem. Thanks!!