MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-14-2001, 06:01 PM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Question Vibrating shifter handle, grinding

I can feel a slight grind shifting into 2nd and 3rd about 60% of the time. The rest of the time it shifts smoothly. Also, shifter handle vibrates like a back massager, especially at higher speeds. Always grinds slightly when cold. I've got 6k miles on the odo. Should I worry? It seems there is much discussion about these transmissions failing, but at 6k miles??

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters
have parts: steeda underdrives,steeda timing adjuster
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 06:40 PM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

If I were you i'd get it checked out since it's under warranty. Little things usually only get worse as time goes on. You shouldn't have to put up with stuff like that on a new/ low mileage car.

Keep us posted.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 07:34 PM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Yes, worry.
Take it back if it's still within warranty, make sure it's documented at the dealer when you recieve the service order. You can check the fluid level also (if your curious). Could be a number of things: my (new)tranny acted like that when the fluid was low, my former tranny acted like that when the throw out bearing went bad.

------------------
1998 Mustang Gt
C&L 80mm
Steeda Underdrives
Steeda Tri-Ax
Magnaflows

Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:43 PM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Do you have the stock shifter? If no then why not? If yes then did it do this with the stock one? One of the best and first mods you should do is the shifter, it will prevent broken shift forks which you may already have. With so few miles I'd say take it back to the dealer and have it fixed under warrenty.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, Weld Pro Stars, Kaenen Cobra R Hood, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
Recent Pic from Moroso
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:57 PM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

You don't have any broken shift forks. If you did you wouldn't be able to shift at all. Been there, done that. The vibrating of your shifter is most likely due to the 4.10s. They will cause a bit of driveline vibration. That's why they come with the 10 pound weight from the factory over the pinion to balance the gearing and stop vibrations. The weight becomes useless after a gear change and can also be removed for a weight reduction.

The grinding is your synchronizers. They grind when cold because the tranny fluid has drained off of them. Just take it easy untill it warms up. BUT, with only 6K miles on it, unless you've been really hard on the tranny while shifting, it should not be grinding when shifting. The synchros in the T45 aren't known to be that great but they shouldn't be grinding yet unless you've been really hard on it. Take it back and have the dealer fix it. The gears should not void the warranty.

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019 <---now with pics. <FOR SALE>
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:40 PM   #6
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

My car was making a noise everytime I put the clutch down. When I took it to the dealer they replaced the bearing and they also replaced the clutch.
They told me that the bearing was making the noise and the clutch I finished it my self--haha. They change everything under waranty.

............................................99GT…
rear sway bar (adjustable)
rear lower control arm
traction bars,
tokiko struts illumina 5 position,
tokiko shocks,
caster camber plates
racing lower springs
3:73
strut tower brace
underdrive pulleys
Michelin “pilot XGT-Z4.
No silencer
No spare tire

Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 07:45 PM   #7
bark3rd
Registered Member

Thanks for the input! My shifter is stock. I feel I should clarify what I mean by "grind". It's not a terrible grind like a schoolbus, it's more like I can feel the shifter sort of sliding/clanking against something hard when I shift (probably the forks). It's the type of feeling that would seem to get worse the more times it happens. It gives me the false feeling that if I am more careful when I shift it won't happen, but it does. It is a much smoother shift when it doesn't happen though. You can tell how it is supposed to shift! I don't know, I hate going to the dealer-maybe I should just drive the crap out of it until it fries, I have 30000 more miles of warranty right! I am about to put on pullies and timing adjuster, will those void warranty?

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters
have parts: steeda underdrives,steeda timing adjuster
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 09:51 PM   #8
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

I know it sucks taking it to the dealer but it's what needs to be done. Otherwise your screwed in the future.

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019 <---now with pics. <FOR SALE>
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 12:08 AM   #9
MrGtStang
Registered Member

Unless you are friends with the service manager or something be prepared for them to blame it on your Gears, thats what they have done to many plenty of times. Got to find a dealership that plays with stangs. They womt bother, Most of the dealers will say "Boy, you put dem 4.10's in there you must be doin some hard shiftin huh? thats not our fault"

Just for my experiences./
Mike

------------------
Mike A.k.A MrGtStang
1986 GT, 12.75, To Many to List.
1995 GT, 13.97, 3.73's,
flowmasters, ADS Chip, K&N, Removed Intake Silencer, Stock AODE,
MrGtStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 09:54 AM   #10
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

You got that right "MRGTSTANG" when I brought mine to the dealer they blamed the pullyes.

99GT…
rear sway bar (adjustable)
rear lower control arm
traction bars,
tokiko struts illumina 5 position,
tokiko shocks,
caster camber plates
racing lower springs
3:73
strut tower brace
underdrive pulleys
Michelin “pilot XGT-Z4. 245x17