MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-12-2001, 01:00 AM   #1
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Post Think i found problem, vibration, and knocking noise??

Well my motor has been runing rough lately, also when i was coming home from work, my motor started a knocking sound i almost @#$# my pants!! i watched oil pressure all the way home, and made my dad listen to it, he said it didnt sound like a rod, or valvtrain noise, we listened to every part of the motor we could, i looked down and noticed my crank pulley seems to be "wobbling" that might explain the rough idle and vibration on the highway? i can also feel through my shifter.

with 179k miles, it maybe time for a new one, although my dad says he never heard a HB make a noise like that? kinda sounds like its rubbing something, im gonna pull the balancer off my friends 85 302 if it will work to see if it clears up, i find no metal shavings in oil, or no loss in performance, sorry for the long post, but thats a scary noise, any opinions?

------------------
90 lx coupe: 5spd, energy susp trans mounts, fms hd clutch, Mac coldair fenderwell, Mac h-pipe, supercoil, ADS chip, 160 stat, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

someday mods:4.10's, slicks.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 07:36 AM   #2
jz_mustang50
Registered Member

Talking

If you suspect your balancer to be the problem, it probably would act up at a certain RPM not a certain MPH. I'm not sure if the balancer will work with your car from that 85. I'd call the part store and see if they have a balancer for like... 79-93 or what... I think that balancer is setup for a different balanced assembly and you could really screw things up by putting the wrong one on there...

------------------
Joe Zemaitis, Grand Rapids Michigan

1991 Mustang GT. Mods to date: 4.10 rear end, new POSI, aluminum driveshaft, AOD w/ shift kit, 2 1/2 off road h-pipe, 2 1/2 flowmasters and 2 1/2 tail pipes. Electric fan, Removed air pump and egr tube. Hotchkins upper and lower control arms. New energy suspension rear busings. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 27x10.5x15 and bolt on subframes soon to be welded. Everything else is STOCK. Totally stock ENGINE. 14.29@96 with 130k miles.
jz_mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 12:46 AM   #3
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Yep, i replaced it, it cleared up so many problems, installation was fairly easy, except for breaking one of the screws on the autozone puller....oops, my hands were greasy, so i had my friend start it up, and i immediately noticed a smoothe idle and no shaking engine.

I did find that my crank pulley only had 3 bolts, one was gone? and 1 other was backed out, and finger tight? that explains the knocking noise i bet, anyway thanx for the help, i just hope this autocrap HB will hold up, it was the cheapest, and only one in stock.

Now, i noticed my reverse lights arent workin? any ideas? i guess i should check my plug on the t-5? huhmm one thing after another.

------------------
90 lx coupe: 5spd, energy susp trans mounts, fms hd clutch, Mac coldair fenderwell, Mac h-pipe, supercoil, ADS chip, 160 stat, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

someday mods:4.10's, slicks.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote