MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   vibration at 3k (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=48262)

mark sweetser 04-16-2006 06:51 PM

vibration at 3k

just got a centerforce dual friction clutch kit installed. at same time, swapped to a new centerforce throw-out bearing, and a new pilot bearing supplied by the shop were i had install done. problem is, at 3,000 RPM in any gear, there is a bad vibration that rattles the whole car. wasn't there prior to clutch swap, even after swap to 3.73 gears. i still have 200 miles or so to go on the 450-500 mile break-in period recommended by centerforce on clutch. when the rattle comes on, the car seems to lose some steam. will this clear up after 200 or so miles, once the clutch is broken in and set correctly? i have been going fairly easy on the gas during the break-in (no WOT).

Hammer 04-16-2006 10:00 PM

Re: vibration at 3k

Sounds like the clutch may not be dis-engaging all the way....

mark sweetser 04-19-2006 09:53 PM

thanks for the response...what would the fix be for that? is clutch defective? wrong one? installed incorrectly? thanks hammer!

1989GT 04-20-2006 08:29 AM

Does it only happen when moving? Try putting the tranny in neutral then rev to 3k see if the vibration is there, then put the clutch in and rev to 3k see if it's there. Let us know.

mark sweetser 04-20-2006 08:57 PM

thanks for the idea, i should have thought of that. NO, it does not vibrate at all when car is in neutral and not in motion...rules out flywheel, right? i did have it re-surfaced on clutch install. noticed today on way home: had my left foot covering clutch after i let pedal out, and when i applied throttle, clutch sprung back up and contacted my foot. what's up?

Hammer 04-20-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

had my left foot covering clutch after i let pedal out, and when i applied throttle, clutch sprung back up and contacted my foot. what's up?
Hmmm.... I would say that there is probably a problem between your flywheel and clutch disk. Are you sure you used the correct throw-out bearing for your application?

1989GT 04-21-2006 10:52 AM

Do you have an adjustable cable and quadrant? If so I would play around with it to see if the clutch is adjusted right, since the vibration only occurs when the car is in motion I'm leaning more towards the driveshaft. Reving in neutral(clutch pedal out) would rule out the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel and input shaft on the tranny. I would disconnect the drive shaft and rotate it over a hole and hook it back up and see if the vibration is there/get's better or worse. Do that all the way around until it either stops or you're back at the starting point. I would say though that it could also be the clutch is not adjusted right and could just be manifesting itself while in motion at 3k RPM.