MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2001, 03:03 AM   #1
WADS56
gear banger

Question auto trans experts

My aod in my 93lx is shot. When it trys to shift into overdrive the motor will just rev like it is in nuetral. I took it to the shop and they said it needs an overhaul. Labor alone would be around $1000.00 I thought about swaping in a t5 but I have been shifting cars all my life so I want an auto.
My question is how hard would it be to do this myself? I know allot about stangs and I built my drag car from the ground up, but I have never seen the inside of a automatic trans. I would want it to be as cheap as possible and I don't need any high performance parts, this is for a daily driver. Also, is there any special tools needed?

------------------
347 W/ A-trim 6#'s, Canfield heads, out of the box Systemax II intake, solid roller cam. 11.1 @123mph

93lx 5.0 daily driver
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 08:00 AM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

Haynes sells a manuael for this at the auto parts store. its in with all the chiltons type books. I was considering doing the same thing myself. I bought a GER AOD with one piece input shaft, non-lockup, balanced, high performance clutches, etc...for around $1100.00 I was planning on re-building my original AOD, but never got around to it.

Anyway, I glanced over the haynes tranny overhaul manuael, and it looks fairly simple. You can get by with basic tools, (might have to modify a screwdriver or something). I would give it a shot. Someone else on this board did it themselves with no mechanical experience, and they had success also. The last time I had an auto ripped apart (not counting shift-kit install)was in high school shop (16 years ago)and I think it was a c-4 or a gm 350, but it was easy to rebuild. just a butch of clutch plates and crap. it looks intimidating, but with the book, i think you will be fine.

Even if you pull the tranny yourself and carry it into the shop to be overhauled will save you some big bucks.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 08:01 AM   #3
Greasy Carl
Registered Member

If you have never attempted the rebuild and this is your daily driver, i wouldn't attempt it. It is fairly complicated. The overdrive bands always go out in those stock AODs because overdrive tries to engage in between some shifts when shifting manual. A good shift kit will get rid of that problem though. Good luck!

------------------
91 coupe, SVO block 380 windsor, Brodix Neal heads, Super victor spyder intake, 90mm Accufab, 160 lb. Bosch injectors, D2-R procharger, Dynamic powerglide, 4500 stall, 9" rear, Speed Pro injection. 1047 hp at the wheels on Dynojet dyno with 23 lbs. of boost.
Greasy Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 11:03 AM   #4
bigredstang
Registered Member

I dont know if I would try it. I have rebuilt several automatics (when I had access to a shop) and there are special tools that make things much easier. A press is required also to change the seals on the clutch pack pistons. I am thinking of having my AOD-E rebuilt by someone else just for a warranty and because I dont have a press or seal/bushing installation set, but only if I can get it for a good price. Otherwise it might be worth the headache.

Good luck if you do go for it.
bigredstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

you can get any special tools you might need form a transmission shop. still cheaper than paying for an overhaul.
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 09:55 PM   #6
Capri306

This is kind of funny; the exact same thing happened to me, having no problems then BOOM! Your intermediate one-way clutch probably blew up. I'm rebuilding my AOD in my basement right now, as a matter of fact, with the help of the Haynes manual. The only special tools I've needed were 2 C-clamps, a short piece of 1x2 wood, and three sheets of that plastic they use for projector transparencies (college prof gave me a couple pieces) to get the pistons in without cutting up the seals. Other than that, a socket set (all metric), a couple of flat blade screwdrivers and creative ways of getting the front pump out are all that's required.

If you never want to do this again, I'd highly suggest at least some modest upgrades. Getting the "A" overdrive servo is the first thing I'd get. Go here to find out the part numbers you'll need, plus a whole lot of info on the AOD. Then buy a quality rebuild kit and a B&M shift improver kit.

Now, I don't suggest this for everyone, but I'm going ballz to the wall with upgrades, like a wider OD drum and band with a ratcheting one-way intermediate clutch (Ford is calling it a mechanical diode). I'm thinking about the stamped direct clutch and the DYNAX intermediates. I'll need it for the kind of power I plan to stuff though it. Oh well, hope this helps.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 11:06 PM   #7
WADS56
gear banger

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like if I try this myself the car will be down for quite a while. Looks like I'm just going to swap in a 5 speed so I can get it done in a weekend.
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote