View Single Post
Old 07-08-2001, 09:34 PM   #1
stanglx347

Cool Keeping the mustang COOL

One issue I seem to come across on these message boards, over and over, is trying to keep that Mustang running cool, no matter if your at the track or on the highway. Well, I wanted to take this opportunity to post some VERY good results I had with my mustang.

Like allot of Mustang owners, my car made that slow transition from street to strip and now it is only a racecar (so I say at least ).

Having just gotten my new engine installed, I wanted to make sure that everything stayed cool while I tried to get some track time in AND it is the middle of summer, so here is some back ground on the car:

347 Stroker
JE Pistons 12.5 to 1 comp.
Trick Flow StreetHeat Heads
1.7 Rockers
Solid Roller Energy Cam .690 Lift and 270/275 int/exh (sorry don’t have the cam card in front of me so I am fuzzy on the exact duration numbers, but they are close).
4.56 Gears, Spool, 33 spline
750 HP Holley Carb (I think this may be too small, but so far car runs great)
Victor Jr. Intake

Anyway, just some bits and pieces. On to my main point, deciding how to maintain a nice steady temperature. I have fooled around with some various options on thermostats and coolants and can tell you that the following combination has yielded FANTASTIC results:

Aluminum Radiator (Griffin in my case)
Aerospace Electric Water Pump
Two Small Electric Fans mounted Diagonal to each other
160 degree Mr. Gasket HP Thermostat
1 Container of Purple Ice
15 to 20% Coolant
The rest I used distilled water.

Drove the car thru its paces on a back road and that gauge never went above 165! (at times it would cool down to 150, but I could tell the thermostat was definitely doing its job by moderating the coolant flow. Now mind you, this was done during the middle of the day with high humidity and temps in the low 90s.

Anyway, I believe this issue can put to rest on my car. True I have not uncovered anything new here, but it’s worth mentioning.

James