View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 01:48 AM   #99
NoisyCricket
Registered Member

This thread has been linked in several different posts on www.rx7forum.com

I am an automotive tech, have worked at dealerships, and every time things like this happen it hurts me personally, it's just one more reason for people to NOT trust me with what is normally a person's second largest investment (first being a home).

Some people's posturing is absurd. If they deserved the car they would work on it themselves?? What about warranty work? Many people pay the absurd depreciation hit just for the luxury of having a warranty, and warranty work by its very nature has to be done at the dealership. Besides, even so, it's not your position to say who deserves what or how people should spend their money - that's not in your job title and you don't get extra credit for it either. Of course, I suppose there's nothing in your job title now that doesn't involve mopping or the production of french fries.

The comment about theft really kills me... It's not right, but it's not theft. When you take your car in for servicing, you sign permission for the vehicle to be operated on private or public roads for up to X miles (beyond which requires more permission) for the purpose of diagnosing and/or determining completeness of repair. One shop where i worked had a policy that ALL cars got road tested before and after service, even cars that only got oil changes. That's understandable, given the stunts people like to pull ("it didn't knock before the oil change...") it's good to get documentation. Sure as hell doesn't mean let's take 'er out and see what it'll do... road tests are part of the diagnostic and repair confirmation process, not stress relief.

The whole situation is so stupid it's funny. Guy joyrides in car. (Stupid enough) Guy brags about it on the 'Net. (Even stupider) Guy points out where he works, the details of the car, right down to the license plate. (Extremely stupid) Owner of car sees post. (A fool and his job are soon parted)

Only little boys have Bow Ties....

Last edited by NoisyCricket; 09-27-2002 at 01:53 AM..
NoisyCricket is offline   Reply With Quote