MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-08-2001, 09:34 PM   #1
stanglx347

Cool Keeping the mustang COOL

One issue I seem to come across on these message boards, over and over, is trying to keep that Mustang running cool, no matter if your at the track or on the highway. Well, I wanted to take this opportunity to post some VERY good results I had with my mustang.

Like allot of Mustang owners, my car made that slow transition from street to strip and now it is only a racecar (so I say at least ).

Having just gotten my new engine installed, I wanted to make sure that everything stayed cool while I tried to get some track time in AND it is the middle of summer, so here is some back ground on the car:

347 Stroker
JE Pistons 12.5 to 1 comp.
Trick Flow StreetHeat Heads
1.7 Rockers
Solid Roller Energy Cam .690 Lift and 270/275 int/exh (sorry don’t have the cam card in front of me so I am fuzzy on the exact duration numbers, but they are close).
4.56 Gears, Spool, 33 spline
750 HP Holley Carb (I think this may be too small, but so far car runs great)
Victor Jr. Intake

Anyway, just some bits and pieces. On to my main point, deciding how to maintain a nice steady temperature. I have fooled around with some various options on thermostats and coolants and can tell you that the following combination has yielded FANTASTIC results:

Aluminum Radiator (Griffin in my case)
Aerospace Electric Water Pump
Two Small Electric Fans mounted Diagonal to each other
160 degree Mr. Gasket HP Thermostat
1 Container of Purple Ice
15 to 20% Coolant
The rest I used distilled water.

Drove the car thru its paces on a back road and that gauge never went above 165! (at times it would cool down to 150, but I could tell the thermostat was definitely doing its job by moderating the coolant flow. Now mind you, this was done during the middle of the day with high humidity and temps in the low 90s.

Anyway, I believe this issue can put to rest on my car. True I have not uncovered anything new here, but it’s worth mentioning.

James
Old 07-09-2001, 03:36 PM   #2
jerryIII

a friend of mine put some of that coolant additive in his blown 66 chevy II, SS he claims it dropped the running temp 20-30 degrees...runs about 190 after it's warm...???

running a stock re-cored radiator and no thermostat....

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

gears (4:10's) coming soon. N2O, soon to follow!!!
Old 07-09-2001, 03:59 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

I think most of us do fairly well when the car is moving. I have the most trouble when it is really hot and I'm in stop and go traffic. I did a thorough cleaning of the radiator recently which really helped a lot. I haven't really been in such conditions again, though. It's in the 90s today, so I'll see what happens.

Does your car stay cool when you are just idling on a hot day?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 04:29 PM   #4
jerryIII

Wink

when I rebuilt the motor i put in a 160, temp stays ok, but who can tell?? the past few weeks have been hell...

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

gears (4:10's) coming soon. N2O, soon to follow!!!
Old 07-09-2001, 10:24 PM   #5
stanglx347

Exclamation

I tried the 'no-thermostat' deal for a week or two and was not happy with it. Mostly due to my own setup.

My fans and pump are all manual, so they only come on when I hit the switch. The temp. seemed to fluctuate too much for me without the thermostat in place.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: