MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2002, 10:22 PM   #1
Titan
Registered Member

Default ls1 stang

I don't understand this...and maybe it just wasn't meant to be, but why does ford not just put a bigger engine in there GT's so they can compete w/ the ls1's. I know this is stupid, but I'm just not understanding this. Everybody talks about the ls1's runnin 12's while stangs can only run 15's. WELL WHY THE HELL DOESN'T FORD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

Ok, that about does it...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 10:30 PM   #2
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

15's? I don't know about you but my stang runs 14 stock, and now 13's with the pullies and timing advanced! How much are the LS1's, then how much are the GT's?

Mustang Write Ups
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 11:23 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
I don't understand this...and maybe it just wasn't meant to be, but why does ford not just put a bigger engine in there GT's so they can compete w/ the ls1's. I know this is stupid, but I'm just not understanding this. Everybody talks about the ls1's runnin 12's while stangs can only run 15's. WELL WHY THE HELL DOESN'T FORD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.
First of all, Most LS1s usually hit high 13s stock, not 12's.

Are there factory freaks out there on a cool night with a sticky track? Yes, it happens, but 99.9% of the time, an LS1 hits mid to high 13s off the showroom floor, depending on the model.

A Mustang off the showroom floor will do low 14's, and as some will attest, some freaks will do high 13's stock down to the paper air filter.

Considering that we're using a 281 compared to a 346, that's not bad at all... I'm not going to push this, as I don't want to sound like a rice boy saying "You've got 4 more cylinders..."
Never the less, getting a competitive engine out of 281 cubic inches is pretty cool, and I'm not even going to go into just how well the mod motor performs under boost....

So in general, the LS1 is anywhere between a 1/4 and a 1/2 second faster off the floor.

Now consider this:
A Mustang GT was thousands of dollars cheaper than even the base LS1 Camaro. (Can you say forced induction?)
(You will find good deals on old 2002 Z28s at dealers until they are gone. I've seen them haggling down to 23-24k, which is about the same price as a stang. But before they were phased out, they generally went for about 3 to 4k more than a stang)

Other than horsepower, today's Mustang GT is a better all around pony car than the Camaro\Firebird. Most major auto reviewers agree with me as well as the buying public.
(Hence the subsequent demise of the F-body...)

If you're Ford, and you're slaughtering the competition in sales with a cheaper, all around better vehicle, why would you change?

I personally think Ford has it right.
A throaty base model V8 with good power at a reasonable price.
A new Mach 1 4 valve with a live axle just around the corner.
and if you REALLY have to go fast, for 35-40k you have the monster 03 Cobra, which will eat base model Corvettes for breakfast.
Add in the HUGE aftermarket that we have.... and you have good things man.

Just my opinion....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 02:56 AM   #4
Titan
Registered Member

As I've come to read, most of the time your opinions are written law...

But answer this, if the ls1's are aonly 1/4 -1/2 secs faster in the 1/4 mile, then what's the big deal about them? Everywhere you look, it's all about beating them. Well, couldn't a good driver make up for the half second? Also, why is everybody else talking about the easy/mid 12 range of ls1's. I just got that number from other posts...sry if it's inaccurate.

Mods = Stuff
Old 09-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #5
gilmoujr
Registered Member

Default In defense of the LS1

In my opinion, I like the Chevys as well as the Fords (and the Dodge - not plural on purpose). If you have a nice car and will take it to the track against me, you are okay in my book - as long as you are not RICE. Take it from me, there is even such a thing as Mustang Rice... I have seen it with my own eyes. Back to my point. We are again talking about two different classes of vehicles. The LS1 come with many more cubic inches and many more horses, too. Just to come within a few tenths in a Mustang is a tremendous feat. So you go out and buy a pulley kit - they make them for the F-bodies, too. You go out and get a supercharger - yep, same thing, F-Bodies can buy some, too. What it all comes down to is if you enjoy what you've got. When all is said and done, You have to enjoy YOUR car. The F-body owners enjoy thiers. Many will tell you that they have been stomped by a Mustang or two in their day. Also, if you have to supercharge to beat your buddy's car, it would be like bringing a gun to a boxing match. You really have no opponent except for yourself. You should be more worried about self improvement and worried less about beating the next guy. If you want to beat an LS1, go down to the nearest dealership and follow a new owner home. After you have stalked him or her for a few months, convince them to go to the track and run against you. You may have to lie and tell tham that you are not a track addict. This should give you all of the pride that you need by beating an LS1.
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:39 AM   #6
Titan
Registered Member

woa, wait. I think you might have misunderstood what I said. i have nothing against ls1's or their drivers. I was browsing through the street racer's corner and just about every thread was about an ls1. I was just wondering why ford wouldn't put a bigger factory engine in their cars, but Hammer cleared that up.

Mods = Stuff
Old 09-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #7
gilmoujr
Registered Member

My previous was not a flame. I just think that there is too much tension between Stangs and F-bodies. It gets to the point of being rediculous sometimes. A buddy of mine has a '00 SS and has put as much money in aftermarket parts as I have this year. He started out with 320hp while I started out with 260hp. For the same moeny and making equivilent type mods, he jumped up to about 380hp while I went up to about 280hp. The proof was at the dyno (313rwhp vs 230.5rwhp). His was bought used at about $20k and mine was bought new at about $23k. That kick lots of people's money theory in the butt. He did some good shopping and got a kick-butt car in the process.
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:49 PM   #8
The Deuce
Registered Member

The other thing to consider is the power to sales ratio.

Honda sells more accords than Nissan does Maximas, so Nissan puts more power out of a bigger motor as a selling point. It is a common thing. Chevy makes more power because they can't recall peoples love of old Camaros. Are there half the people who take real pride in the mid 80's IROC's? Are they guys with mullets?

When you vehicle is selling, you don't really mess with it. Truth is, the v6 is what is keeping the mustang alive. That car is pretty useable in terms of a mid 20's-30's woman driving it to be in something 'sporty'.

I figure the above will get me flamed, but the F-bodies were just too much hassle to get in and out of for people who want a car that looks cool or fast. I've driven them both, (test drives man, test drives ) and the Mustang is much more liveable.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 05:37 PM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
But answer this, if the ls1's are aonly 1/4 -1/2 secs faster in the 1/4 mile, then what's the big deal about them? Everywhere you look, it's all about beating them. Well, couldn't a good driver make up for the half second? Also, why is everybody else talking about the easy/mid 12 range of ls1's. I just got that number from other posts...sry if it's inaccurate.
Umm, there IS no big deal about them. They are faster in a stock configuration... that's it...

Some people just can't seem to deal with that.

Quote:
if you have to supercharge to beat your buddy's car, it would be like bringing a gun to a boxing match.
I don't know about you, but I follow the military way of thinking:
You want complete dominance over your competitor.

And as far as bringing a gun, hell, if I can afford it, I'm bringin' a HOWITZER!!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 09:40 PM   #10
GodStang
College Stanger

The 2003 Mustang V6 can beat the 2003 Camero SS. :-)

That is why they do not go to the bigger engine. It keeps prices down and therefore will still be making them next year unlike our late friends at GM.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:14 PM   #11
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GodStang
[B]The 2003 Mustang V6 can beat the 2003 Camero SS. :-)

that is the funniest thing i've ever heard...At first I was like WTF the v6 is mad fast now? then I remembered.

Mustang Write Ups
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #12
SVTguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan
As I've come to read, most of the time your opinions are written law...

Yes a good driver could make up for the 1/2sec advantage, but if the lS1 driver is equally skilled than you’re once again hooped. Also 1/4 to 1/2sec advantage in the 1/4 mile does not portray the power difference between the two cars. A SOHC GT is really about as fast as LS1 0-60mph. The reason being, is the LS1 is greatly limited by traction available. However once the LS1's gets off the line, a stock GT has no chance of hanging, try a 60mph roll with an LS1 & see how hard the GT gets pulled.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:11 PM   #13
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

My friends stock WS6 went 13.5@106 with a lot of spin in first gear. So, with better traction, its easily a low 13 sec car. Of course, now the car has a supercharged, twin intercooled, Procharger setup with Borla exhaust and 315 drag radials, so I don't think low ET's are a problem for him anymore, either are Vette or Porsches
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 02:04 AM   #14
Amish
Registered Member

I think that this is something that has probably been discussed many times before and will be discussed many times after this. First off, GM really messed up the camaro! I have had many friends that have gone from camaro to mustang because of all of the problems they run into. Try changing the spark plugs on any LT-1 it is a NIGHTMARE, and that stupid OPTI-SPARK is the stupidest thing ever. The interior is to say the least cheap. Oh yeah I think I saw more car rental companies with camaros in their advertisements that GM did. Second, while the LS-1 is a great motor but they are sooo expensive, not to mention no one makes affordable mods for them. Some one in my position can't afford one. You kinda get what you pay for though.

LS-1=more power= more money
Mustang=less money=less power
Cobra=more money=FREAKIN WOW!!

I can afford a mustang. As far as the mustang goes, they are a great car. While I am a big fan of the third generation camaro (NO I DO NOT HAVE A MULLET!) I really like mustangs. I recently test drove a 1998 Gt and if I did not have big plans for my camaro I would have bought it on the spot. Not to mention the mustang is THE best sounding car I have ever heard. I wish the LS-1 sounded like that

----I don't race because-----
well
----The ol' RS is REALLY slow!---
Amish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 06:16 PM   #15
Conman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I don't know about you, but I follow the military way of thinking:
You want complete dominance over your competitor.

And as far as bringing a gun, hell, if I can afford it, I'm bringin' a HOWITZER!!
I think you pretty much have that covered with 450HP

'88 lx, Black on Black, check it out here

Spent all my money on school, what a dumb mistake

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:21 PM   #16
RBatson
Registered Member

I don't go to the track alot but I go some. When I had my 97 cobra vert I ran an lt1, he ran a 14.5 to my 14.2... I beat him. I had an ls1 dying to show up my cobra and made a point to line up with me, he ran a 14.5 and I ran a 14.0. He spun off theline and never caught up. I say run what ya brung, whatever is fastest wins. I can add more to my mustang and run reliably(and cheaper) than you can to your ls1. I had a guy on my route that added some mods to his ls1 and it sounded great!! I thought that car was sweet and might give my 5.0 a run but he recently got rid of it because "I got tired of it leaving me walking". Its really your choice, I've read about people running low 13s and some high 12s with the ls1 but I've yet to see it(not saying it hasn't happened). If I was to buy a car because it was fast stock I'd buy an ls1, to go fast and be reliable... a mustang. To go fast with mods, a mustang. Errrrr, than again... to go fast stock, an 03 cobra(Hmmm....)
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 10:22 PM   #17
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Another thing for mustangs. They respond so well to a blower. I have a vortech on my Cobra and have an estimated 550 at the crank. There really is nothing like 453.8 to the ground to whip up on my brother's modified (won't tell you what he has to protect his feelings) WS6.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #18
GoT8?
Registered Member

I have an LS1 and i happen to love the stangs, especially the way they sound! its hard for us to match that sound, ive been in modded stangs, maros and hey its just ******* fun, as long as it has 8 or more cylinders im happy
GoT8? is offline   Reply With Quote