MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-05-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
my3rdstang
Registered Member

Default water in exhaust, oil and cylinders

My 99 gt 4.6 recently laid down on me and from my first observation I thought it was a blown head gasket. I had water pouring out the exhaust and a little in the oil. I pulled the heads and sure enough the left gasket was blown. Put my pony back together only to find that the intake was busted. Took the 4.6 back down to the short block and started over. I magnafluxed both heads twice and all eight cylinders and did not find any cracks so i was sure that the new intake would have me back on the road for the weekend. Put it all back together and guess what I am still getting water into my oil and pressure on my cooling system. what have i missed what is my problem? I did find that i had over looked tightening one bolt on the intake and it was the one on the back right by the heater core inlet could one loose bolt be the problem?
my3rdstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: water in exhaust, oil and cylinders

First off, how are you magnafluxing aluminum heads? Aluminum is not ferromagnetic so you're never going to see a crack via magnafluxing. You'll need to use another form of dye-penetrant NDE.

The loose bolt could have been your problem on the second go around, but in general the gaskets are pretty forgiving.

Few things to look at. Check the heads/block for flatness. Make sure that you're getting left/right head gaskets and getting them oriented correctly. Make sure that you've got the crank in the 'safe' position when bolting the heads down. Check the intake VERY closely. The phenolic intakes have been known to crack (there is a recall for this). Lastly, use proper procedures for burping the coolant system when you put it back together to ensure that you're not overheating it on initial start-up.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
my3rdstang
Registered Member

Default Re: water in exhaust, oil and cylinders

thanks for the info jeff but I work in an alum foundry and we produce cylinder heads and the magnaflux will show the cracks. I have left and right gaskets and was very carefull putting them on because at $42 each and having bought 3 sets i wanted to make sure they are right. Is it possible that the head may be cracked on the inside? I realy don't think it is a cracked head though, because I am getting to much water to fast. I also have a brand new intake installed and I am still getting the water
my3rdstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: