MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
Simi Stang

Default Possible oil in water??

Hey guys-
Last weekend I ripped out all of my a/c components. During the install of the a/c eliminator kit I had to remove a couple of the bolts on the driver's side of the water pump. I only removed/replaced one bolt at a time so as not to loosen the seal on the water pump. The seal never seemed to break while removing/installing the new water pump bolts...but I did see a VERY small amount of water begin to form above one of the bolt holes where the pump meets the block. I quickly put in the new bolt and tightened it down & wiped away any water that was present.
My question is...if the water pump seal was slightly broken...is there a chance that some coolant leaked down into my oil? I forgot what exactly was behind the water pump...and wasn't sure if the coolant could even reach the oil from there? I'm thinking everything is fine really. No coolant dripped down off the motor or anything. There was hardly any at all. I just wanted to see what you guys thought before starting it up??
Old 01-24-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
mpj76
Registered Member

I think you're OK. The waterpump is mounted to the front cover, not the block. Some of the bolts go through the coolant passageways. That explains the water on the bolts. You're supposed to coat those bolts in something before you put them back in. I think its teflon tape or silicone. Maybe some other goo. If you're stilll concerned, just change the oil. I mixed oil and coolant once under load when my gasket broke and nothing bad happened. I probably got lucky though.
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote