MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
chiaronate
Registered Member

Default what a difference!

hey, i used to have a 1994 mustang gt with automatic transmission and recently traded in for a 2000 mustang gt with manual transmission. just wanted to say it feels much more refined. the suspension is smoother, and at the same time it handles better. acceleration is a night and day difference and the mod motor feels alot smoother and eager to rev. wow, what a car.

current performance mods:
80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears
dynomax super turbo mufflers
diablosport predator programmer

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
chiaronate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Welcome to the Modular motors. I hope you enjoy your stay. My fiance has a 2001 GT. REally a neat little car. I am in the middle of doing a P&P job on her intake. What are your plans for mods?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
chiaronate
Registered Member

not too sure yet, i don't want to change many things. i'd like to keep the 3.27's. possibly exhaust work in the future, but nothing noisy. mabey a bullitt intake manifold also. i've read in a book that the bullitt intake manifold makes only 5 more horsepower, but torque peaks at a much lower rpm. something like that would be good.

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-19-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiaronate
not too sure yet, i don't want to change many things. i'd like to keep the 3.27's. possibly exhaust work in the future, but nothing noisy. mabey a bullitt intake manifold also. i've read in a book that the bullitt intake manifold makes only 5 more horsepower, but torque peaks at a much lower rpm. something like that would be good.
first off I will have say congrates
and welcome to the mod motor world

is there a reason you would like to keep the 3.27 gears?

and if its gas(MPG) then I will tell you this I have 4.10s and I get better MPG around town then I did with the 3.27s and highway I lost maybe 2 MPG

if looking for a cat back but not to loud then look into magnaflow
but remember on a stock n/a car a cat back wont give much power if any just sound.

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Welcome to the Mod world where things are getting better and cars getting faster.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
chiaronate
Registered Member

Default 3.27's

3.27's are a good all around gear, i'm happy with them. i'm thinking maybe short-tube headers and intake manifold, along with mass-air meter and throttle body. by the way, what would be the right sizes for mass-air and throttle body for more horsepower/torque. i'm going to the book store to see what i can find. i knew alot about the 302, it's like i'm starting over with the modular. is the exhaust manifold on these motors efficient?

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The Bullit intake is really expensive for very little gain on a stock car. Also, shorty headers are almost not worth the price and the pain of installing. Throttle body won't give you anything unless you get an aftermarket upper plenum. The more effective bolt-ons for modular GTs are underdrive pullies, timing adjuster, x- or h-pipe, plenum, longtube headers, etc.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
chiaronate
Registered Member

i was looking through a 4.6 performance book and wasn't impressed with the performance gains for throttle body, mass-air, exhaust etc.. i think i'll leave the car the way it is for now. i also looked in a mm&ff magazine at a camshaft test. the aftermarket camshafts were pretty much the same as factory, with 10 more horsepower in the higher rpm's. definitely not worth the money and hassle. i'll wait to see if something decent becomes available.

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #9
4.6LitreGT
Registered Member

i would say that there are already decent mods available.

the motors dont need help with mass air becuase it is sufficent for the car as it is, go with the mods listed above, or in my sig, and i think you will be happy and not break the wallet.

the mods they listed are definetly worth while. i dont think you could take a 5.0 and spend 1300 bucks and run 13.50s N/A.

Plenum and TB - 350
X-pipe & Catback - 450
Shifter - 160-180
4.10s - 350 installed ( the other parts can be installed yourself)
Accufab 75mm TB, C&L Upper Plenum, FRPP 4.10s, Hurst Billit Shifter Plus, UPR Off-Road X-Pipe, Magnaflow SS Catback, K&N FIPK II, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete. Diablo Predator, 2003 Cobra Wheels

Best Pass 13.75 @101.24
4.6LitreGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #10
GodStang
College Stanger

I agree 100% with blue00GT. Also you may want to look into the jlt cold air intake. it is only $150 with GREAT GAINS!!! www.jlttruecoldair.com is his website. The GT CAI is not on there but will be on there next week.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #11
chiaronate
Registered Member

my car does low 14's from the factory, mid 13's isn't much of a difference for all that work.

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #12
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

a mid 13 is a hell of a lot of difference ..i wish i could run a mid 13 with my car all motor
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #13
chiaronate
Registered Member

well, of the things mentioned above, i would possibly change the throttle body and plenum, and also the exhaust system. i'd rather not deal with gears. i had them done on my 1994 mustang and the backlash was out of adjustment, causing them to make noise when i let off the gas. 3.27's are a good all around gear anyhow, and i won't be racing at the track. does anyone have dyno numbers for aftermarket exhaust and throttle body/plenum? any magazine article quotes?

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-20-2004, 05:48 PM   #14
4.6LitreGT
Registered Member

Write-up on Testing TB and Plenum

i've read on modulardepot guys with longtubes, midpipe, catrback, pullies, plenum and tb and CAI and a tuner(diablo/SCT) are pulling around 270-280 rwhp
Accufab 75mm TB, C&L Upper Plenum, FRPP 4.10s, Hurst Billit Shifter Plus, UPR Off-Road X-Pipe, Magnaflow SS Catback, K&N FIPK II, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete. Diablo Predator, 2003 Cobra Wheels

Best Pass 13.75 @101.24
4.6LitreGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #15
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Quote:
Originally posted by chiaronate
well, of the things mentioned above, i would possibly change the throttle body and plenum, and also the exhaust system. i'd rather not deal with gears. i had them done on my 1994 mustang and the backlash was out of adjustment, causing them to make noise when i let off the gas. 3.27's are a good all around gear anyhow, and i won't be racing at the track. does anyone have dyno numbers for aftermarket exhaust and throttle body/plenum? any magazine article quotes?
Welcome to the board by the way....3:27's are Granny gears!!!

Why? the 4.6's power band is more usefull in the upper RPM range...3:73's OR 4:10's will get you there much quicker. As you gain more experience with the 4.6 you will know that GEARS will be the best bang for the buck, besides supercharging...

Cams are not a bad mod either...not only should you look at the HP gain, look at the operating range / power band at which they generate HP/TORQUE...much different / efficient than stock.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:03 PM   #16
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

It's your car. Make it the way you want. Everyone has different goals and situations.

Catbacks can add measurable power. There is some great info at Mach 1 registry where three different catbacks were tested on an otherwise stock Mach 1. SLP and Magnaflo were two of them I believe. The gains were 8 - 12 hp as I recall.

Plenum and TB combos are a proven 10 - 12 hp. There has been tons of studies done on these...it's a no brainer. You have to decide if the $350 for both is worth it.

I also must agree that gears such as 4.10's are a great mod. They will make the car feel more like a 5.0 by adding power down low and make the car scream that much more at peak.

So, here is a list of common mods, price and hp gains:

1 - Catback...$300 - $500...10 hp
2 - Under Drive Pullies...$200 installed...8 hp
3 - Plenun/TB...$350...10 hp
4 - CAI...$80 - $250...0 - 8 hp
5 - 4.10's...$500 installed....0 hp (but seems like 40 hp)

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #17
chiaronate
Registered Member

thanks, blake. the only other thing that i would consider are headers. any idea how much long tubes or short tubes would add?

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #18
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Like any mod, some headers work well, others don't. Some leak a lot too. But, 15 hp seems to be about what you can get with them. I would generally suggest long tubes. They cost about $500 - $700. Not sure what short tubes run, though. They are a pain to install as sometimes require to pull the motor. I have no plans for headers unless I would need to pull motor anyway.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 08-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
chiaronate
Registered Member

i've heard of having to push up on one side of the motor, but not completely moving. with the mods you have, did you notice a big difference? did you run at the track before or after? i would go to that car show, but i'm in new york.

80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
Old 08-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #20
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Hey, I just noticed where you live. I have been there tons of time to your town, but not in a while. You are about 3.5 hours from me.

My car is night and day different from when it was stock. Unfortunately I have no track times yet. I have most likely taken 0.75 to 1.0 seconds off my 1/4 mile though since I started.

I will have times by the end of the week.

My Stang: