MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2000, 11:20 PM   #1
fixer
Registered Member

Post what if any problems with your Modular Model Gt/Cobra?

I've noticed that there are very very few problems posted on this board concerning the newer Gt's(96-00). the only ones seem to be botched or snafu'd mod procedures.
my question is if there in fact, are few problems with these cars or do you people just not post them for some reason?
so in conjunction with this what problems have you had?
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2000, 11:41 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The '96 GTs (I believe) have an intake problem, where the intake will break. Ford will fix it after it happens, but no pre-emptive fix.

The '96 Cobras have the cooling problem, which is also fixed for free.

The T45 has some problems. Shifting mostly. No real good fix for it.

The '99 Cobra had the "fix" and a good number of people have had trouble with the IRS, mostly wheel hop, with some axle and U joint problems, even heard of tie rod problems.

I had a leaky head light which was fixed for free.

I think that's about it...
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 07:49 AM   #3
Black99GT
Registered Member

Only problem I have incurred is the starter went out at 17,000 miles and the driver power window switch went out. Both covered under warranty.

------------------
Black 99 GT
3.73 gears
Mac power chamber
2 chamber Flows
Mac cold air induction
steeda tri-ax
Nitto drag radials
13.62 @ 109 (using a G-tech pro)
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/MediaDL.cgi?Home_Video+movies+Black99GT-burnem+mpg
Black99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 10:33 AM   #4
Dino
Registered Member

I had some trouble over the winter with the tranny. It would grind once in a while when going into gears. But it must have been due to the cold because as soon as the warmer weather came it cleared itself up. Another problem I had was my rear sway bar snapped off on the passenger side. Other than that the car has worked great.

------------------
96 GT, 4.6L, 5 spd, MAC cat H-pipe, straight pipe mufflers, 3.55's, air silencer removed

86 GT Convertible, 5.0L, 5 spd.
1986 Mustang GT Convertible ***2 pics of the stang and one of me***
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 01:06 PM   #5
St_Brawler
Registered Member

The '97 was recalled for the intake. Fixed for free. Personally this is my 4th intake. I cracked one every summer.

------------------
'97 GT, full lenght MAC headers, MAC Pro chamber h-pipe, Mac 2.5" Cat-back w/chrome tips, AODE 4W70R, K&N, Eibach springs and a 150 NOS wet shot system. Coming very soon, 4.10 gears, trany upgrading, Saleen body kit, and some medium suspension work.
St_Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2000, 01:08 PM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I've had my 96 GT for a little over a year with no major problems. The car now has 61,000 miles on it and the driver's side strut is starting to fail. I have had no engine, cooling, or tranny problems yet to speak of.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2000, 12:23 AM   #7
Ch4nce
Registered Member

Main problem I hear about the 99/00 GTS is the throwout bearing goes bad early in life, also rear wheel bearings get all grinded up and have to be replaced withing 20000 miles...

------------------
1999 Mustang GT 35th Anniversary Edition
- FMS 3.73 Gears
- Abbott Speed Compensator (ERA)
- Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
- MAC Cold Air Induction Kit
- K&N Air Filter
- 2 Chamber Flowmaster Mufflers
- Mustang World Bumper Inserts
http://ch4nce.modularstang.com
ch4nce@yahoo.com
Ch4nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 11:56 AM   #8
RickC
Registered Member

This thread brought me back out of the woodwork.

A while back I posted about a creak from the rear and about snapping door hinges. The creak went away following body repairs from an accident shortly after that post. Never did find out what caused it.

The hinge problem was interesting. Turns out that during lubrication I inadvertantly rolled one of the rubber wheels and caused the snapping/popping sound. When rolled another half turn or so the noise stopped and has not been back.

Those have been the extent of my problems, however, I am concerned about the wheel bearings now.

The same accident mentioned above resulted in replacing all my tires. I thought the new noise after return from the body shop was the new rubber but it seems to quite down after I take my foot off the pedal and during deceleration. How can one tell if the wheel bearings are worn? I have 15000 miles on the car.

Thanks,
Rick

------------------
Rick

'99 GT with K&N filter
(Don't know what else I want to do with it - yet.)
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2000, 01:50 PM   #9
Red Rocket
Registered Member

I have a 96 Cobra and have had the most problems with this vehicle than any other Mustang I've owned. Besides the cooling problem, which I haven't fixed yet, I have had trouble with the steering column, tie rods(sp?), and the front brakes. And
I drive this car the least hard of any of one I've owned. I even compression brake because of the high gearing. And also the fact it uses way more oil than the 5 liter, but less gas. This car I currently own is even on its third T-45. Never replaced any T-5''s in the pre-modular cars.

Only problem I've had with my GT's were replacing the brake pads and clutches. That's really it.(Drove those cars really hard.)

The 4.6 is in my opinion, a better and more efficient engine than the 5 liter, but for some reason the 5 liter frames held up a lot better, although there shouldn't be much difference, if any, between the 95 and 96 frames, I had more success with pre-96 cars than the one I have now. Just some minor problems, but no real major problems.

Thanks

------------------
1996 Laser Red Cobra. 12.64@106.1 mph; 1.92 60 ft. I keep racin' it, and it keeps getting faster!(It's still a heavy beast)
Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2000, 02:16 PM   #10
GaryDawg
Registered Member

I've had the typical convertible problems... body shifting... re-align the windows so they don't creak... the subframes should take care of this. Got a re-call notice on the cruise control but I had been using it monthly on 800 mile one-way treks and did not have any problems but took it in anyway and let them do whatever...

------------------
My '98 Vegas Pony

'98 Rio Red (Clearcoat) Convertible Mustang GT
5-speed, 3.27 gears
17" Pony Sport wheels
K&N Air charger
Removed Air Silencer
Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix Kit w/Super Subs
All the options...!
Great lookin blonde passenger!
Vegas Baby!!!

Next comes the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2000, 01:40 PM   #11
MajorTwit
Registered Member

Only problem I've had in 20k miles is delayed 2 to 3 shift with the AOD under hard acceleration. There's a TSB on that complaint, but the dealer won't fix it since you really have to be romping on it to recreate the complaint.

------------------
98 GT 4.6 Stock
MajorTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 09:01 AM   #12
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Unhappy

Well, I crashed mine. That is a major problem in MY book!

Jeff 97 Cobra
C+L 80mm MAS, BBK Springs (1 1/2 drop), Taylor 8.5 wires, Flowmasters, ASP pulleys, (looking for a used throttle body and off road H pipe)
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2000, 12:03 PM   #13
98YellowGT
Registered Member

I haven't really had any problems with my 98 GT, but the rear stabilizer bar broke on my brother's 97 Cobra, it was fixed under warranty and they said it was just a faulty part

------------------
1998 Yellow GT 5-speed
Appearance Package
Black Hood/Fender stripe
17x8" Wheels
FMS 3.73's
Steeda Aluminum Pedal Covers
98YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #14
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

Thumbs up Re: what if any problems with your Modular Model Gt/Cobra?

i cracked the intake (stupid plastic junk ) on my '96gt under hard acceleration. luckily it was a recall item, ford took off my supercharger, replaced the intake and put everything back w/ out any problems...didn't cost me a dime, not even for the tow job to the dealer. the throw-out bearing was squeaking after about 15k miles, ford swapped it under warranty.i have had a crack/pop on driver's side door, but wd-40 and an adjustment of the hinge roller (it gets flat spots) clears it up for a while. my cigarette lighter came unscrewed from the receptical. this is it though, which isn't bad for a daily driver which has seen track time and is driven hard everyday. have to say i'm pleased w/ the reliability of the car
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #15
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

Default Re: what if any problems with your Modular Model Gt/Cobra?

i cracked the intake (stupid plastic junk ) on my '96gt under hard acceleration. luckily it was a recall item, ford took off my supercharger, replaced the intake and put everything back w/ out any problems...didn't cost me a dime, not even for the tow job to the dealer. the throw-out bearing was squeaking after about 15k miles, ford swapped it under warranty.i have had a crack/pop on driver's side door, but wd-40 and an adjustment of the hinge roller (it gets flat spots) clears it up for a while. my cigarette lighter came unscrewed from the receptical. this is it though, which isn't bad for a daily driver which has seen track time and is driven hard everyday. have to say i'm pleased w/ the reliability of the car [/QUOTE]'96 GTS Deep Forest Green Metallic CC
/8# Powerdyne SC (11# pulley on the way), Bassani Cat X, 2 chamber flows, Motorsport alum. DS, Kenne Brown subframes, Pro 5.0 short throw, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, 17" Cobra R's w/ 275/40zr-17 g-force kd's all around (gotta love AA traction rating ). FRPP 3.73's/Bassani mid headers in the mail!
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 PM   #16
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I have a 97 and had a 98 (just traded it), both had the intake replaced, and the rear sway bar. Other than that they have been trouble free. I couldn't ask for better cars.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #17
Duane'97gt2v
Registered Member

White '97 GT 5-speed, I've added k&n, msd wires, bosch plugs, pro 5.0 shifter, Ford racing clutch, ford racing 3.73's, no/cat h-pipe, 2 chamber flows. All mods were "wants" not "needs", as far as my wife knows, they were all "needs". The car does have a real slow powersteering leak, I'll have to add a little every other month or so. I have 101,000 miles of no problems. I have been running the same (please don't laugh too hard) pacemark 245/45 17's for about 30,000 miles. They have never hooked at all, especially in the wet. They still have good tread!!! The car only runs mid 9's in the 8th, but drove it there and ran same tires. Lots of wheel spin. But as far as problems? Nope, none.
Duane'97gt2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #18
monroegt
Registered Member

I have a 96 GT so far only problems were blown fog lamp bulb, and the brake piston broke other than that it has run perfect.
monroegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #19
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

There is a tech bulletin on leaking fluid at the brake/power steering distribution block...this is the ONLY problem I've had. Had a couple of the banjo fittings replaced for free and that was it. Overall, my 98' is probably the most trouble free car I've owned since 1982! AND I RUN THE CRAP OUT OF IT...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: