MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-31-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
xtrememach1racer
Registered Member

Question What supercharger setup is best? Need some info...

Sup guys?
First of all I wanted to thank everyone for their help on my question about installing a 4V Cobra engine in my 2V GT. You guys were a lot of help! Unfortunatly upon researching this conbo more I have found that it would be just waaaaay too much work with my auto trans. So I am trying to find a good blower setup for myself now... I've been doing a lot of research on blowers for some time now, and I know how they work and all about intercooling benifits, boost, detonation, etc. My problem is that I have bassically no real wold experience with superchargers. That is why I am posting this message...to see what other people know, becasue I know that I don't know all that much...just sayin I think I got the basics at least by now...

Okay...my most important requirement is that the supercharger is QUIET! I need the blower to be as silent as possible. I have been looking at the packages from Vortech (SQ Line) and Powerdyne. I have heard from many people that the Powerdyne units literally no noise, and I'm wondering about whether this is true, and if all of the problems that I have heard about Powerdyne units breaking is a real problem that many people have faced? Have talked to a rep from Proficient Performance, and he said that this is no longer true, and Powerdyne units are extremly reliable, and the problems that I have heard are from older units that were made very poorly? So I am wondering on what anyone else has to say about this? Also as for the Vortech SQ unit (which I would much rather buy), I am wondering just how quiet it really is? I'm wondering for how loud it as at idle, crusing, and full acceleration? How much can it be heard from outside the car? Inside the car? Any help would be great, becuase I have decided that I most definatly want to supercharge my car, I just need the feedback of some much more experienced people to help me out with the descision. Thanks a lot to everyone for their help, and I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Dave

Last edited by xtrememach1racer; 10-31-2002 at 12:49 PM..
xtrememach1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
1995MGTS
Registered Member

I don't have a modular engine but I'm a Powerdyne user, I had the belt driven blower (BD-11A) and now have their gear driven version, the XB-1. I will tell you, from my experience only, that I had no problems with my BD-11A in the 6,000 miles that I used it. I had 40+ dyno runs, about 10 quarter mile passes, and many, many street blasts. The blower was dead quiet. The reason I upgraded is because the BD-11A is an entry level blower with no room to grow and I wanted more reliable boost. It's capable of 800cfm and about 9lbs of boost. Pushing it beyond 9lbs could put the internal belt at risk of breaking. Though some have broken their internal belt with less. Don't get me wrong though, it can make really good power. It's just easier making good power with a more powerful blower like the S-trim or XB-1.

In my opinion, unless Powerdyne makes the XB-1 for your car (I don't think they do right now) I would go for the SQ S-trim. A friend of mine has one and it's pretty damn quiet. Not as quiet as my BD-11 but more so than my XB-1. The biggest thing though is the S-trim can grow with your car. Vortech is known for having reliable blowers while you never know what you are going to get with the BD-11 belt driven series. Some, like mine, seem to last while others don't last three months.

By the way, I bought my XB-1 from Tyler at Proficient and he really knows his stuff. I would recommend him any day of the week. Good luck.
2003 Redfire Cobra #5978 of 8394
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
-Lightning pulley w/Afterburner
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE
1995MGTS is offline   Reply With Quote