MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2001, 05:33 PM   #1
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Question What will I end up with?

Hello,
I am wondering what, what will the end result be if I put on Classic Design Concept's Side Exit exhaust, and then added a H-pipe w/ 2 cats, and a cold air induction? I am stock, cept' a K&N airfilter. A while back I asked what side exit would do and many said I would lose 10-15 hp. But then I read other places it will add performance? I really want side exit exhaust cause' around here, there is alot of Mustang's with regular exhaust, and no one has side exit exhaust. I want my car to stand out! Maybe I shouldn't of bought a Mustang to stand out? What am I saying I love Mustangs! Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:31 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I am not sure why people were saying that you would lose HP w/ the side exhaust. I would think low restriction would only help (unless of course it isn't low restriction). I would say that w/ the H-pipe, side exhaust, and cold air intake, you should release a solid 15+HP.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 08:45 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

You won't lose hp but you won't gain much either. The side exit exhaust is pretty restrictive in that it has some major bends to get the pipping back from the rear axle area to the side of the car. It's just it's design. Ask Stefan about his. He has side exit exhaust on his. Also you have to be careful about speed bumps and other clearance issues because that is a big problem with the side exhaust. If you don't mind that I say go for it. You won't lose hp. But you won't gain much, if any, either.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS <---Must sell. $10,900 obo 56,000 miles
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 09:30 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The side exhaust will net you about the same performance as your stock set up.
An aftermarket h-pipe and cold air induction will probably get you 5-7 hp at the rear wheels.

If you're looking for performance mods, look at a shifter, some 3.73 gears, a new MAF, and some pulleys...

Hint: Someone has some FMS pulleys and an MAF for sale right now in the classifieds. Hmmm, who could that be?

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
Ricer 1: What the heck was that!?
Ricer 2: I don't know. It looked kind of like a yellow SN95 Mustang.
Ricer 1: Nah, fast SN95 Mustangs don't exist... Must have been a mirage or something...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 09:52 PM   #5
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

If you want the side exhaust... go for it. Like everyone has said it won't gain much if anything but it is a neat appearance and sound modification. I definately didn't lose any hp. As far as clearance I have had no problems. I've been over speed bumps, potholes, etc. and have not scraped anything yet (of course it is lower so you do have to use common sense.) My setup is the Borla kit that has mandrel bent pipes throughout. The Classic Design Concepts kit is a good kit with I believe Dynomax mufflers? There are tons of Stangs around but not too many have side exhaust so it tends to be a head turner. The only drawback is that the kits are expensive and that translates to money that could be spent on other go fast goodies. I got mine for half price from a guy that had it on his car for about two weeks and then went a different direction with his mods. Just be sure to follow through with a hi-flow h-pipe and you'll be on the right track.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 10:58 PM   #6
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for the FINAL decision making! I have been asking the same questions alot , just a little unsure what I should get. My dealership has been NO help whatsoever. Believe it or not, my local Chevy dealer is a real nice place! 3 of the mechanics are regulars at the track around here. One has a modded Camaro, the other two have Mustangs. I talked to the one with the Mustang and he will put gears in for me! The Ford dealership protested when I asked and they gave me some BS on them not being able to do it, and it would void my warranty! I thought , what a load of, this is crap! Anyway, my dealership is dumb and won't know if I have different gears in. I wish I didn't get my oil changed there but its free. And, if they say somethin about the new H-pipe, I'll say, oops, and say i'll change it. I mean, when they sold me the car, it had a banner on the windshield that says MUSTANG and those are illegal in our area. Also, I have read at mustangworld.com that a cold air induction's don't do anything and are for looks? Anyone got any confirmation on that? AND, Stefan, got any sound clips of your side exit ? Thanks for all the help, throughout all my posts! -Kevin

------------------
Old 03-17-2001, 11:30 PM   #7
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I don't have a sound file yet but now that most of the snow is gone I have no excuse to get it done. I'll make an effort to get a sound file in my user's ride info this week. I'll let you know when it's there.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 03-18-2001, 12:14 PM   #8
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Stefan, I'd be very grateful if ya got a sound file of it!

------------------
Old 03-19-2001, 09:57 PM   #9
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

See that's what this board is all about.

Helping people with their experiences.

Enjoy 98'MustangGT now share some photos and sound files.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 04:45 PM   #10
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I wish I had some nice pictures I could share but the ones I got were taken on a erally sunny day with a crappy camera. I also have a video but it sucks, cause' my friend filmed it and and his camera sucks! I hope to get some nice sound files up and videos AND pictures. I am gonna borrow a digital camera from another friend. Also, update on the side exit exhaust. Some people from mustangworld.com are gonna do a group purchase from various places including classic design concepts. I can get $100 bucks off if I buy with them so I am trying to scrap some money togethor. I almost sold my 99' Honda XR200 the other day so I had some money to mod my car.

------------------
Old 03-23-2001, 06:21 PM   #11
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

98'MustangGT,
Sorry it took till the end of the week but I finally got my sig. updated. Follow my sig. link and you will find two newer pics and a wav file of the exhaust. Note that the car in the new pics is dirty and not detailed yet but I still wanted to shoot it anyway. I've never really messed with audio on the net so I don't know if I used the best compression for the wav file. Nonetheless it is fairly representative of the sound. Let me know what you think and have a great weekend.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Old 03-24-2001, 11:13 AM   #12
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks man! Sounds and looks great! I really appreciate you gettin' that stuff! -Kevin

------------------
Old 03-24-2001, 12:19 PM   #13
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

Glad ta help...
Gotta go... it's top down weather!

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop