MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-18-2001, 12:49 AM   #1
Strider
Registered Member

Default Future Mods

Hi all! I'm new to this board but have been reading it constantly since i got my first Stang, a black 00 GT on November 15th of this year. It was love at first site Anyways the first mod if you can call it that was a K&N Filtercharger for it. Now i'm looking to add more mods. With the eventual addition of a supercharger. What mods would most of you recommend if you were just starting out like me? Also, how do you attach an avatar to your sig????

Strider
Old 12-18-2001, 01:14 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hi Strider,
Glad you made it here!

Good first mods are 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, and some horsepower pulleys. You'll be surprised at how much this will "wake up" your pony....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Strider
Registered Member

Hammer thanks for getting back. My car is bone stock right now. What size gear do i have in there now and what will the new gear do. Also, will it affect my mileage? I assume the shifter is for quicker shifts, am i right in that? And what is the function of the pulleys? Also where are they located in the car? Oh yeah, one last thing. How the heck do i add an avatar of my car??????? I looked in the faq and it tells me what an avatar is but not how to attach one to my signature.

Strider
Old 12-18-2001, 04:06 PM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

The pullies are a great naturally aspirated mod however if you go to a blower they become useless since you need the stock pullies. If you know you're going with a blower I suggest sticking to a different intermedite pipe (offroad H or X or catted H or X), gears (3.73s if you want to be conservative), shifter and sub frame connectors.

Gas mileage will not be affected greatly. I got 18/19 MPG during my daily 75 mile commute and 27MPG on long distance trips with 4.10s.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 04:18 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Looks like you figured out the avatar...

I think the stock gear ratio is 3.27....
(not sure on 2000-2001 models)

A 3.73 gear ratio will give you better acceleration as you'll get in your power band sooner, and a much needed kick in the pants in the lower revs...

Some folks like 4.10s but if you use your car as a daily driver like me, I think the 3.73 ratio is a better choice for standard transmissions. There will be a very slight increase in fuel consumption, but to be honest, I didn't notice any increase in my monthly fuel spending....

The short throw shifter not only enables you to make quicker shifts, but more importantly, more RELIABLE shifts. Nothing's worse than hearing that GRIND when you're trying to toast some rice....

Pulleys are the objects that your serpentine belt wraps around in your engine compartment. (usually crank, alternator, and water pump)
Horsepower pulleys give less parasitic loss from the horsepower your engine puts out... while theoretically extending the life of your accessories...
(Sounds like a sales pitch to me)

Mustang92 is correct about the blower application. If you are going with a blower anytime soon, you'll need to use the stock pulleys.

For more info, go here:
http://www.mustangsplus.com/mag_ad/page17.htm

Have fun...

Last edited by Hammer; 12-18-2001 at 04:24 PM..
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 06:10 PM   #6
Ares
Registered Member

HMM yum...toasted rice. I do prefer mine smoked and slightly blackened
2000 Mustang GT - 5 speed
Race weight w/o driver 3086lbs, 3250 w/ driver

Best 1/4mile run to date: 12.79@105.96, 60' 1.76sec.(10-27-02) Best MPH 106.03(10-27-02)4.10gears
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 01:39 AM   #7
Strider
Registered Member

Guys, thanks for all the info. Now all i got to do is find the parts at a reasonable price and get em on the car. I think i'm gonna opt for the 3.73 gears over the 4.10 specially since this is my only car, so we'll stay conservative for now. Any reason why Ford doesn't switch to a short throw shifter as standard equipment? In pretty much all the mags were i saw the 2000 or 2001 Stang reviewed everyone made mention of the long throw as a negative thing.

Strider