View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
Actually, I was thinkin of going with the Steeda chip just to be sure since they guarantee compatability and serviceablity with ford. I always get the damn ******* tellin me "Well, you got an aftermarket chip in it so theres nothin I can do till you remove it". Atleast with the Steeda, I wolnt have that problem.
Actually, I wouldn't count on that. Some dealerships won't touch a car if it has a cold air kit on it. Doesn't make it legal, but that's the way it is...

Quote:
Also, my idle has always been erratic with the chip in. It hangs at 1000 to 1100 rpm when I dump the clutch, when decelerating, and sometimes it drops to 500 or stalls. The Steeda guy said it was probably the mass air
That's fairly common in modified cars. Even the yellow beastie's idle can vary sometimes and even stall. It's pretty rare but it does happen. You have to remember that the IAC is now picking up air through a totally foreign system than it was designed from the factory. The Cold air kit would be the first guess for the idle problem, followed by the chip, and then the MAF. All 3 or a combination could be your problem.

As far as I know, all "chips" (or ECU modules) can modify the same settings within the car's computer. As far as capability, one chip is not "better" than any other. The actual electronic unit inside the chips are different, so how they interface and make those changes may also be different.

Quote:
You think I should keep the chip since I paid alot to Dyno tune it ($100/hr), or step up to the Steeda. They said their chip would be a standard burn except for the gear ratio. Lastly, what do you think of the setup and Dyno figures I got? I was told they translate to about 330 hp and 345 torque, at the motor.
In general, I usually don't recommend an ECU module to someone unless they really need it, and from what I can see of your setup, I would never have recommended one unless your car is an auto.
(I don't think Speedcals can adjust the speedo for auto trannys yet)

And if you ever buy a chip, it should ALWAYS be dyno tuned (in my opinion)

In your overall issue, I'm leaning that your problems are a mix of induction problems and maybe a tune that you don't like. Some shops will dial your chip up to the ragged edge, which will push your setup for a few more horses, but also give you negative side effects that you may not want. I would recommend a conversation with the shop that did your tune.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote