MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2001, 10:14 AM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Cool WOO HOO! RAN NITROUS AT TRACK! (long, real long)

Finally got Nitrous Express kit installed and went straight to the track with the 75 shot jet, new LCA's, and colder plugs. Loads of fun and no problems (other than no tread left on my street tires!) The crowd went wild as I lined up next to an older 5.0 w/slicks, and purged nitrous 15 ft into the night sky! I felt like a top-fuel dragster. Man, people went nuts over that purge valve. I launched easy, careful not to bump the rev limiter in 1st like I often do, and the 5.0 launched at about 5k and shot about 5 car lengths ahead of me. Then my nitrous kicked in. I fishtailed for about 100 feet after shifting into 2nd, completely underestimating its awesome power hit (my buddy in the stands was videotaping and said the crowd went nuts when I shifted into 2nd). Going into 3rd the 5.0 was now about 3 car lengths ahead but the boost in 3rd was equally impressive and by the time I grabbed 4th and went through the traps I had gotten my nose past him (after he was 5 lengths ahead at the start!) Final ET's me: 13.8075 @ 105.6 mph, 60ft 2.3761, reaction:.5934. The 5.0 ran 13.8278 @100.67 mph. My previous best time was around a 14.2 @ 98 mph. I know that a 13.8 is no big deal but how about some opinions on a possible time with some traction looking at the trap speed? On the way home a new Saleen coupe was taunting me on the highway so I flipped down the back seat, turned on the bottle,armed the system, purged 3 times, downshifted into 4th (70mph), and left the Saleen by 20 carlengths by the time I hit 120 (it was not a supercharged Saleen). The advantage over stock with only a 75 shot is to me simply awesome. The car sounds totally different when the nitrous kicks in, hard to describe. I ran all over the place testing out the nitrous after that, even bumped the rev limiter twice at full throttle, with no problems. Next week: 100 shot and slicks. I am very happy with the Nitrous Express Kit.

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Flowmasters, Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster (11 deg), K&N filter, Nitrous Express w/purge (75shot currently),NGK spark plugs (lower heat range than stock plugs), airbox silencer removed
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 10:44 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Wink

Gee, and you don't even sound excited

That's awesome man. Just think when you get a few more passes and settle into it how your times will drop. You need to get the video up online.

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 11:54 AM   #3
bark3rd
Registered Member

Unhappy

Thanks, I'll probably need to get a digital camera to upload, unless you know another way. On a sadder note, there was a drag biker nearly killed on the same night (he was choppered out, the emts said he had about a 10% chance to live). I was right beside the starting line in the staging lanes when he was doing his burn outs when he wheelied, slid into the tree, endoed and catapulted about 20 ft in the air and 100 feet down the track. It was horrible to see and the crunching metal sounds were awful. Never will I sling a leg over a drag bike!
Old 08-06-2001, 11:38 PM   #4
46stang
Registered Member

sounds like the laughing gas may have leaked into the cabin with you because you sound pretty excited sounds like nitrous is pretty sweet!
to bad for the motorcycle guy. hope it works out for the best.
go get those ls1's now

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Steeda timing adj.,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,BBK longtube headers,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,
373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's tri-ax shifter.
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3
bfg street tires,bakersfield, ca

46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 04:42 PM   #5
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Sounds awesome. Your definatly in the high 12's once it hooks up.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
[b][i]332RWHP, 350rwtq[b][i]
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 04:44 AM   #6
300hp99GT
Registered Member

sounds cool. is that the same kit that the girl im MM&FF put on her automatic 99 GT and ran 12.3 with the 100hp shot ? i think she ran 13.1 with the 75hp shot. i could be wrong but it was close to that. i know im right about the 100hp shot running 12.3. that kit is special made for cars with a non-return fuel system
300hp99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:46 AM   #7
bark3rd
Registered Member

300hpgt: Yeah, its the same kit as in the magazine-that article is what made me decide to try it. She had an automatic and obviously better traction, my trap speed proves that with some traction I should run a similiar time as the chick. I'm shopping for slicks now. I ran with a dude with the same car as me (basically stock)running a 150 shot with a ******* momentary button for the nitrous (with a 5 spd!) He blew his intake off on the first pass. I was right beside him and thought it was my engine! I think having a momentary button for the nitrous with a 150 shot and trying to shift, steer, and not knock the rev limiter is suicide. He hit the button in a panic at about 6700 rpm and toasted it. I've got the whole thing on video (sorry, not digital or I'd post it) as a reminder not to be greedy with the nitrous. It sounded like firecrackers going off! Screwed up my run too because I let off so I never got a proper 2nd run, so far I only have one pass on the nitrous. I should have been able to run mid 13's with my tires with some practice.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:10 PM   #8
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

****** ! Every time I think Im going to give up on a nitrous kit, and order a blower, someone has to post something like this, and all my plans go to hell!

Nice to hear you're enjoying it! Can I ask how much $ the whole set up was?

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 08:12 PM   #9
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

*See above post*

Geez, my D A M N I T got censored???
Old 08-09-2001, 11:03 PM   #10
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I just dont understand these new stangs.

Some guys run mid to high 13's stock.

I am not trying to flame anyone or be a smart @ss trust me my car is slow as hell right now so I have no room to talk.

but, 4.10's nd a 75 shot 13.8

I thought the 00' stangs ran a 14.1 stock

Please do not take offense to this post it just confuses the hell out of me.

I have heard of stockers running 13.6 the best I have seen is a 14.4 but im sure that is cause of the altitude where I am at.

Good luck with the Nitrous Hopefully with some traction and practice you can knock off some more time..

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 05:17 PM   #11
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 HO:
I just dont understand these new stangs.

Some guys run mid to high 13's stock.

I am not trying to flame anyone or be a smart @ss trust me my car is slow as hell right now so I have no room to talk.

but, 4.10's nd a 75 shot 13.8

I thought the 00' stangs ran a 14.1 stock

Please do not take offense to this post it just confuses the hell out of me.

I have heard of stockers running 13.6 the best I have seen is a 14.4 but im sure that is cause of the altitude where I am at.

Good luck with the Nitrous Hopefully with some traction and practice you can knock off some more time..

I think in his case, 4.10's + 75 more HP = no traction. That explains his slower times than what would be expected.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:12 PM   #12
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Wicked nice, bark3rd!!
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 04:44 PM   #13
98 NosStang
Registered Member

Thumbs up

awesome man. man its true what was said before though, my freind drove his stock 1999 4.6l through the 1/4 mile he ran 14.73 at 101.2 mph,it was manual trans.... congrats man, you gotta run slicks it will shave time so you wont spin as much on first outta the whole.

------------------
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /CONVERTIBLE. AUTOMATIC.FLOWMASTERS, JBA SHORTY HEADERS,X-PIPES,.373 GEARS, 70MM THROTTLE BODY, BBK COLD AIR INDUCTION W/FILTER,50-150SHOTNOS KIT (AT 100 SHOT NOW.ONLY KICKS IN AT FULL THROTTLE),4 POINT HOOKER HEADERS ROLLBAR.(READY TO MAKE IT A 6- POINT ROLL CAGE)
98 NosStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 03:51 PM   #14
bark3rd
Registered Member

Thanks for the posts everyone! I know some of you are tweaked about the 13.8 but at least I'm posting actual #'s! I'm not one of these ricer wannabees who post crazy times (or the people in the mountains who run 15's but correct supposedely to 12's, etc). My tires are useless, they spin on dry pavement just driving around town. Also, here in Austin we have had 22 days straight with over 100 degree temps. It is very hot at the track. I need slicks and wheels but for some reason these are difficult for me to nail down (size, etc). Many people at the track tell me drag radials suck and I haven't seen anyone run them. One other thing, these LCA's have had some weird effects, I wish I knew exactly what I should be expecting from them-I dont know whats normal or what is trouble.

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Flowmasters, Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster (11 deg), K&N filter, Nitrous Express w/purge (75shot currently),NGK spark plugs (lower heat range than stock plugs), airbox silencer removed
Old 08-13-2001, 05:47 PM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bark3rd:
Thanks for the posts everyone! I know some of you are tweaked about the 13.8 but at least I'm posting actual #'s! I'm not one of these ricer wannabees who post crazy times (or the people in the mountains who run 15's but correct supposedely to 12's, etc). My tires are useless, they spin on dry pavement just driving around town. Also, here in Austin we have had 22 days straight with over 100 degree temps. It is very hot at the track. I need slicks and wheels but for some reason these are difficult for me to nail down (size, etc). Many people at the track tell me drag radials suck and I haven't seen anyone run them. One other thing, these LCA's have had some weird effects, I wish I knew exactly what I should be expecting from them-I dont know whats normal or what is trouble.

I am glad you posted your real times, It is embarrassing as hell to tell you guys I am runing low 15's but it is the truth.

With slicks I would not be surprised to see you run 12's

Oh and buy the way drag radials are ok but you have to baby them off the line the best tires I have seen for the track are the Mickey Thompson ET streets.

My Nitto drag radials have 30-40 passes on them and are over half way gone and that is just track time they have never been on the street. So I do not reccomend them.

Good Luck

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible bored to 306 BBk equal length headers mac cold air fender kit 3.73 FMS gears cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe 160* thermostat 16 degrees of timing electric fan off 94' t-bird jacobs electronics cap and wires. Edelbrock 1 1/2 inch drop springs.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:30 AM   #16
98 NosStang
Registered Member

HEY BARK3RD, I HEAR YA. I SHOT NITROUS 100 SHOT STRAIGHT FROM THE HOLE TILL THE END OF THE 1/4 MILE(there is like a 15 sec rule, you should not spray longer than 15 sec at a time, atleast with the nos 50-150 shot-setup), MY CAR IS A CONVERTIBLE, AND AN AUTOMATIC ...IT HANDLED THE NOS GREAT. I RAN 14.09 SEC AT 97.79MPH, 60'WAS 2.490 ON REGULAR FACTORY RIMS AND FULDA STREET RADIALS, I PUT ON THE FMS 70MM THROTTLE BODY THIS SATURDAY. SO IM GOING TO MOROSO FRIDAY AND , ILL SEE IF THAT WILL PUT ME IN THE LOW 13'S HOPEFULLY BUMPING THE HIGH 12's

------------------
1998 MUSTANG GT 4.6L /CONVERTIBLE. AUTOMATIC.FLOWMASTERS, JBA SHORTY HEADERS,X-PIPES,.373 GEARS, 70MM THROTTLE BODY, BBK COLD AIR INDUCTION W/FILTER,50-150SHOTNOS KIT (AT 100 SHOT NOW.ONLY KICKS IN AT FULL THROTTLE),4 POINT HOOKER HEADERS ROLLBAR.(READY TO MAKE IT A 6- POINT ROLL CAGE)
Old 08-14-2001, 12:56 AM   #17
98 NosStang
Registered Member

ohh and that was my first time at the track and that was my second pass, my first pass was 14.13sec at 97mph. i bought a gtech and its pretty accurate ,70mm throttle body change shaved a second off my timing. so considering my first passes to be crappy till i get more used to the track lights.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:49 AM   #18
bark3rd
Registered Member

Cool

98NOSstang: I'm glad to hear the gtech shaved some time off for ya! hehe. I've heard those things are whacked. Did the gtech's time agree with the track timer? I am confused, you said that you are hoping to run 13's or 12's-is the expected change due to Moroso and the 70mm throttle body or is there something else you plan to do? I am skeptical that those 2 things will make more than a few tenths difference. Man, gaining better times is a brutal challenge. I'm convinced the answer is traction. I've been smoked by cars with 97 mph trap speeds (and 1.9 60 ft times) when mine is almost 106! (My best 60 ft is 2.2).
Old 08-14-2001, 10:50 AM   #19
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by 98 NosStang:
ohh and that was my first time at the track and that was my second pass, my first pass was 14.13sec at 97mph. i bought a gtech and its pretty accurate ,70mm throttle body change shaved a second off my timing. so considering my first passes to be crappy till i get more used to the track lights.
Don't get your hopes up because a 70mm throttle body will not drop a second off of your times. That is about as probable as a K&N adding 100HP.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
2001 Mod Motor Shootout 2V NA Champion
Recent Pic from Moroso

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 02:21 PM   #20
bark3rd
Registered Member

Hi mustang 92, I can't believe this thread made it this far without a post from you! You were pretty down on nitrous on my poll post before I bought it, I still agree with you that it is a bit risky when running 100 shot or more. I saw a guy toast his engine with a 150 shot the other night (you probably saw my post about it on stangnet). I think the colder plugs, retarded timing, bottle warmer, purge, nitrous pressure guage, micro switch, and nos octane booster help minimize the risk. The guy that blew up his brand new 01 GT had none of these things and was running a 150 shot (NX) with a momentary button. Nevertheless, I am jonesing to try the 100 shot! Also, I think I'm going to get a 70mm throttle body and go to Moroso so I can run 11's! (just kidding, no flames 98nosstang)