MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-29-2001, 01:21 PM   #1
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Unhappy HELP! Dead Starter! Heavy Duty Worth It?

Went to start my car last night and all I heard was a fast whizzing noise. The starter just spins and doesn't engage.

So I am wondering if it is worth it to get a Heavy Duty starter(Hi-Torque model) or if a stock replacement will be okay. The most important thing to me is that the new starter is reliable. Keep in mind I have a relatively stock 91' GT with and AOD, and the car is going to remain this way for about 2.5 more years until I graduate from college. I was looking on the summit racing site and the cheapest one is $120.00, but most are higher. I just don't know if its worth it. Prices on carparts.com range from $65.00 for a remanufactured unit to $146.00 for a new replacement.

The bottom line is that I want a good reliable starter that I won't have to worry about.

Thanks

Jeff

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 08:57 PM   #2
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Anybody......Opinions?

Any info is welcomed

------------------
1991 GT, AOD, Moroso Cold Air, 3.73s, Pulleys, 3-chamber(the left one fell off-NO time+No Money=College), FMS c-springs, and KYBs
Old 04-30-2001, 01:11 AM   #3
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Smile

7 hours w/o a reply? Everybody must be asleep. A high torque starter is not necessary, it's nice, but not necessary. My race car has a high torque starter, but only cause it has 12.8;1 compression. Pep boys sells starters with a life time guarantee. If it ever fails bring in the starter with the old receipt and they give you a new one.
If you want relibility get a brand new one and you won't have to worry about it for years after you've graduated college. I went 120,000 miles on my Ford starter in my 92 before I changed it. I changed it just because, it still worked fine.
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 08:41 AM   #4
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Thanks smokedchevy. I was wondering when somebody would respond.

I can't go to Pep Boys, because I am way too far away from one right now. I did find a new one at Auto Value with a 2-year waranty for $85. Plus my girlfriend's dad can get a pretty good discount from there, so right now I'm leaning towards that. The ford dealer wants $127.00 for a remanufactured unit. I can't fix it until tomarrow anyway, so I have a little bit longer to decide.

Thanks again

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 02:55 PM   #5
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Hey,
I went to Auto Zone and got a new starter for only 54 bucks w/lifetime warranty. Rebuilt one was only 45 but only had a 1 year warranty.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 06:53 PM   #6
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

That sounds good Smokedawg, but I only have about four places to choose from(dealership, Auto Value, Napa, and Car Quest) that are in the immediate area. I could order something online, but that would take too long, espcially considering I can get one the same day from Auto Zone and Napa.

Right now I thing I am going to go with Auto Value and use the discount, but I won't decide until tomarrow. Thanks anyway

------------------
Old 04-30-2001, 06:57 PM   #7
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

I meant I can get it that day from Auto Value and Napa. If I wasn't up at school in the sticks I would go to Auto Zone or Pep Boys, but they are way way too far away.