MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-21-2002, 10:51 PM   #1
RedTwilight
Registered Member

Question Would this be a good rearend combo?

I am currently planning on installing a set of 4:10 gears into my Cobra. I thought I would go ahead and add some other goodies while doing the swap.
Please let me know what you think of my planned combo. Any experiences/opinions or things I should watch out for?

-Precision Gear or Richmond 4:10s
-Eaton posi
-Strange 31 spline axles
-TA rear end girdle
-Redline synthetic gear lube

as well as all your basics (like new bearings, studs,etc..)

Thnx

'96 Cobra LazerRed (RedTwilight-Zero)
Removed air silencer
K&n air filter
BBK o/r H-pipe
MAC 2.5" Flowpath catback
MSD 8.5mm super conducter ignition wires
Centerforce clutch assembly
Steeda Tri-ax shifter

'93 silver 5.0 LX coupe

'86 5.0 LX
RedTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:19 AM   #2
Titan
Registered Member

I would recommend FRPP gears. I've heard they're the best when it comes to NOT whining at high speeds. I put FRPP Gears in mine and I love them...no noise what so-ever...

By the way...don't forget the speedo gear

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:24 AM   #3
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

FRPP all the way the only gear to get.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:56 AM   #4
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

actually if you have a cobra 3.90 gears are a better choice you`ll fry your tires all the time with 4.10 even 3.73 would be a great choice i think if your runing street tires 4.10 is just to much for all that power everthing else sound good though
Rice Haters Club Member #55
For My car Specs Click the Home page link
http://www.badassyellowgt.50g.com/
Badass_yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
RedTwilight
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I have thought about the FRPP gears as well. But as far as whinning goes I think it really comes down to how well the gears are shimmed; not really to much to do with brand.

Actually I thought about going with 3.90's but I have never seen any made for the 8.8; just the 9 inch rear.
If there is a company that makes 3:90's for the 8.8 let me know.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:54 PM   #6
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by Badass_yellowGT
actually if you have a cobra 3.90 gears are a better choice you`ll fry your tires all the time with 4.10 even 3.73 would be a great choice i think if your runing street tires 4.10 is just to much for all that power everthing else sound good though
Really then I guess I must have super glue on my tires with 4.30's because I rarely have a problem with spinning. Of course I know how to adapt to driving my car instead of WOT everywhere. Not to mention a GT makes more torque at a lower RPM than a Cobra so I should see the problem even more so. Not a flame but fact is your tires fry because you haven't learned to drive within the limits of your tires. I can leave the line on the street in 1st with so little as a chirp.

RedTwilight, you are right 99% of all gear whine is install nothing more. I still prefer FRPP gears for strength and reliability though.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-23-2002, 05:50 PM   #7
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

we are talking about a cobra not a regular gt i know peole who race there cobra and they have all told me 4.10 is a bit much in a gt yes they are awsome but in a cobra no

here is a link to the 3.90 gears for 8.8

and they are on sale there is also another place but i don`t remeber the addressNational Drivetrain
Old 08-23-2002, 10:46 PM   #8
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by Badass_yellowGT
we are talking about a cobra not a regular gt i know peole who race there cobra and they have all told me 4.10 is a bit much in a gt yes they are awsome but in a cobra no

here is a link to the 3.90 gears for 8.8

and they are on sale there is also another place but i don`t remeber the addressNational Drivetrain
What do you think I'm talking about? Does my GT look like a regular GT or do they all run mid 12's? Cobra's need gearing worse than the GT's due to the power band. A stock Cobra makes less torque down low (cause of tire spin for those of you that didn't know) than a GT and has a 1000 RPM higher limiter. If the people you knew had a single clue about racing they would have 4.56's to get the most out their cars. A 4.10 in a Cobra is a gross undergearing of the car. But hey what do I know I only race in the NMRA, FFW and test and tune once a week. Not that I would know a thing or two about getting the most out of your car.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-24-2002, 11:33 AM   #9
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

i`m only telling what other racer who own them have told me i don`t have a cobra i`m not doubting your experiance or knowledge and your pic is kinda blury hard to tell it`s a cobra and also i think this guy wants a streetable car unless he owns a gas refinery
Old 08-24-2002, 05:37 PM   #10
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Gas mileage isn't even and issue I'm still getting 19MPG on my daily commute and 24MPG on long distance trips. Not bad for 4.30's gas consuption only changes slightly the biggest effect on mileage is the right foot.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-24-2002, 06:46 PM   #11
RedTwilight
Registered Member

dudes please settle down!

The Cobra is now (since March) my weekend driver. So I'm not too concearned with gas mileage. I do drive it on the street alot. I have even considered going with 4:30's but I also plan on running some road course with it. And I thought that 4:10's might would be the better choice for the twisties right now. I still run it at the dragstrip ocassionally (when I'm not working). If I had planned on making it a strip car I prob. would be going with 4:56's.

Thanx for the replies. And one last question! What speedo gear should I get? I have heard three different things. Should I get the DMP speedcal? thanks

'96 Cobra LazerRed (RedTwilight-Zero)
Removed air silencer
K&n air filter
BBK o/r H-pipe
MAC 2.5" Flowpath catback
MSD 8.5mm super conducter ignition wires
Centerforce clutch assembly
Steeda Tri-ax shifter

'93 silver 5.0 LX coupe

'86 5.0 LX
Old 08-25-2002, 12:12 PM   #12
Badass_yellowGT
Registered Member

hey mustang92 let call it quits we could argue forever on this topic and that`s not i`m here for
Old 08-26-2002, 10:06 AM   #13
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Fact is I just hate seeing all the misinformation posted on here and other boards this being a perfect example of it. Now I'm seeing posts about people debating the perfect NA 2V gear being a 3.55 or 3.73 then 6 months later the same people come on the board complaining that their times are worse or that they have to shift into 4th before the traps. I try warning people but some just don't listen. I have no hidden agenda here, FRPP doesn't pay me money for every set of 4.10 or numerically higher gears that I convice people to buy. Personally everyone can go out and buy 3.08's for all I care but it gets really annoying with I get emails from people saying that everyone told them that 4.10's would be too much for a GT or Cobra and unstreetable when that's complete BS.

You may see it as an arguement but I see it as a debate. I'm going from real world experience from people who race and drive on the street. Now RedTwilight has already made his decision on gearing based on his road racing which is good. Saying that he'll fry his tires is ignorant. People only fry tires when they can't control their driving, I know plenty of Cobra owners with 4.56's and don't fry their tires unless they want to. What about the guys out there with 4.30's and power adders?

Maybe in the future I'll just keep my opinion to myself and when I'm running high 11's NA, or 10's on the spray or even dip into the 9's I'll just sit back and laugh at threads like this instead of trying to keep people from making the same common mistakes.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-26-2002, 10:43 AM   #14
Titan
Registered Member

I understand what you are saying, but some people are just not that serious about their cars. Don't get me wrong, I love mine and I love to drive it, but I have other important things in my life (i.e school, g/f, family). Each person's opinion comes from their lifestyle and how they like to drive. If I wanted to run 10's in the 1/4 mile, I damn sure wouldn't be buying a mustang. As much as I love my car, I know that a ram air ws-6 trans am would kick the crap outta my car any day. I just like driving fast and beating hondas. So when I say get 3.73 gears, it's my personal preference. Maybe 4.10's + are good for your racer, but I have to drive 40 miles down an interstate runnin @ 2500-3000 rpm's. W/ flows on, it gets pretty loud. I understand that TRUE racers and people w/ too much money love to do this sort of stuff, but for me, it's what I recommend. Sorry to upset you.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #15
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Actually for a 96-98 GT staying NA 3.73's are the better gear to have. As for being serious that's fine but fact still remains that people look for advice they make their decisions based on what people tell them then come back complaining when their ET's don't improve and find out the thruth about gearing. Most Mustang owners are performance oriented that is why they mod their cars. When I say 4.10's that is a mild gear as far as I'm concerned, if someone is concerned about running with the big dogs you need 4.30's in a GT or 4.56's or 4.88's in the Cobra. 4.10's leave lots of room for growth and are not that agressive.

Just FYI but I drive my car 75 miles a day round trip at 80MPH or 3100 RPM's to work with my 4.30's. Maybe it's too much for you but it's music to my ears. I am racer, and I take it serious, I also have no where near enough money or my car would be running 11's already, but I still have to get to work every day just like everyone else this is far from a trailer queen that everyone thinks it is. Also 10's aren't any easier to accomplish with a LS1 than it is with a GT. I have every intension of running 10's next year and 11's on motor.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 08-26-2002, 04:07 PM   #16
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Mustang92 made some good points. I've heard from other people that Richmond and Precision gears don't shim up good. I use a Richmond 5.36 pro gear and i didn't have any problems. So i dunno. But i would pick a FRPP gear for my first choice. And a 4.10 gear wouldn't be so bad either
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote