MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-27-2001, 11:36 PM   #1
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Question Would they know?

Hmmmmm, I have been comtemplating 3:73 gears now for a while. Well, I asked my dealer and they said they would void my warranty, no questions asked. But, the good ol' trusty ( yeah right ) Chevy dealer accross town has a mechanic there that owns a 91' Mustang GT, its a regular at the track. He said he could put the gears in for around $150 or $200. I trust this guy but once they are in, would the Ford dealer be able to tell if they were changed? Keep in mind my dealer is pretty senseless about whats on my car. Thanks for any help!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:56 AM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

In my opinion unless the dealer knows his mustangs or knows what to look for them he will never know. My car they would figure it out because it has a nasty gear whine since install.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys, Steeda Timing Adjuster, FMS 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR subframes, UPR LCA’s, Air Filter, Lakewood 70/30 & 50/50, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s, 253.8RWHP/292.8RWTQ
Best on DR's 13.09@103.92 (1.81 60ft)
Best on ET Drags 12.99@104.60 (1.67 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool…

Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 10:08 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

If the gears don't whine and the speedo is correct, though they probably wouldn't pay attention to that, then I very seriously doubt that they would know. Besides, I don't think they can void your warranty over gears. Gears can't hurt a damn thing except gas mileage.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 10:30 PM   #4
Y2KGT
Registered Member

98'MustangGT, I asked my dealer about doing the same thing. They told me that it would only void the warranty on my gears--and not the rest of the car.

If your dealer is going to give you a hassle about making minor modifications like gears...find another dealer!

I don't know what's available in MN, but if you can, try to find a dealership that is a licensed Motorsport dealer to handle your service. They are used to dealing with performance parts and are usually pretty cool about modifications (usually if you're happy, that means you will come back to buy more from them ).

I deal with Tommie Vaughn in Houston and they have never given me a hassle about modifications.

------------------
2000 GT -- Black, 5sp, Mach460, Bassani CatBack & X-Pipe, MAC Cold Air, 70mm Tbody, Hurst Shifter
1966 Mustang Coupe -- Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Int, A-Code, C4 Auto
------------------
scott@pearland.com
Y2KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 10:35 PM   #5
white00GT
Registered Member

My bet is that they don't find out untill you tell them. I had my gears changed the first week I had my car, and they still don't know that I have them changed...
white00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:29 PM   #6
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Best advice has been given.

For piece of mind and future mods ...Find another dealer.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote