MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-29-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Default Wow...My car did some Ugly.

Well, you all havent heard from me in a while. Been busy as hell.

Rear of my car was howlin bad, infact it was so bad you couldnt hear the exhaust over it. And my exhaust is Two Chamber Flows Master Dumps with Long Tubes.

Then it started creaking when ever you started getting the car rolling. Yeah..Bad..

So, I've been collecting suspension parts and rear end parts for a while now. Yesterday Tim C, Gremlin, and I rolled it into the shop and procceded to take the car apart.....Again (1st time was engine rebuild, exhaust, and tranny).

Found that the Pinion Bearings were so wore out that it was just plane scary. They looked ugly.

Then....Then...Now here is the good part....My Torque Boxes...Wow...Bad. Yeah..Guess they didnt tolerate the 390 plus ft-lbs of Torque. Wow....I ripped the Upper Passengers side Torque box to shreds. You can fit your hand completely between the chassis, and torque box. It busted the spot welds and tore the hell out of the Metal connecting it to the frame rail.

The entire box was being held on by a 2inch long strip of metal that Hadnt tore loose yet.

The drivers side upper was starting to come loose, but just barely. Alot of Welding, Hammering, and WIld Rides Battle Boxes should take care of it...Wow...Alot of work ahead of me.

Also got an 8-point cage for it Yesterday. Only thing left to get is Weld's, Slicks and Skinnies, and some N2O.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Here are some Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpim0109.jpg (60.8 KB, 48 views)

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Heres another. *Shiver*

You can see on this one where the darn Torque box started twisting and hitting the brake line, bending it...almost causing another disaster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpim0106.jpg (83.3 KB, 46 views)

Old 09-29-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Looks like it's a good thing you checked them when you did. Were you running on slicks to tear them up that quick?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

No Slicks....I did that on Stock suspension with wore out Nitto Drag Radials my friend gave to me.

Funny thing is, The car only hooked Twice in first gear......EVER (well since building up the engine)...And that was with only a bogged down 2800 RPM Launch (On the street at that..never could get it to hook at all on the track)..It still had to be feathered so its not like it was a Hard Launch.

Heres another pic of one of the many tears in the metal on the passenger side upper Torque box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hpim0108.jpg (60.1 KB, 31 views)

Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Well, spent most of the day yesterday rebuilding the rear end. Got a Auburn Pro 31 spline carrier, Moser 31 Spline shafts, FMS Rear Girdle, and a new set of 4:10's back in it.

Then me and my friends got to work on repairing the nasty torque boxes. Got them all in place, and welded back together.

Tonight I start on Getting the Battle Boxes in, bolted and welded.

By the end of tonight I want to have that done, the Rear suspension (Adj Uppers, SSM Lift Bars, Eibach Drag springs) all assembled and the rear axle in the car. Drive Shaft connected, exhaust back on the car.

And...Hopefully get the front suspension at least started. Anything else will be an added bonus.

Tommorrow, Finish up the front end, get the pinion angle and all right, Get at least 4 points of the cage in. Tires mounted also. Wow...Alot to do tongiht....Have had set backs..some minor, some an hour, these last few nights. With no set backs...I think Tim C, Gremlin, and I could have the car done by Friday night. Maybe not in time for the Races, but hey, that aint gonna brake my heart.

Without my friends, I would still be taking the rear axle out of the car....Thanks Guys!

Old 10-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Let us know how that thing 60-foots after all that suspension work.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I'll let you all know once I get it done and to the track with some sticky tires.

Didnt get as far as planned on it the last two days...Burnt out, and having to fight things every step of the way...nothing going quite like it should. Took a break from it today.

I'm hoping for some mid 1 second 60ft's on slicks. I'd be happy with a 1.6, considering before suspension, on Drag Radials, it would be a second more than that at 2.5, 2.6 60 ft. (Any gas worth giving, and it would break them loose in first, sometimes second gear also at the track....Fayetteville kinda sucks at prepping the track) I imagine alot of that had to do with the stock suspension though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: