MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-14-2001, 06:27 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Cool Mac H pipe w cats vs BBK x pipe with cats??

Hey glad to find the new URL for the message board, I was going insane!!!!

Ok so I was studying in the reading room looking at a Brothers performance catalog. I had previously intended to go all Mac for the rest of my exhaust to complement the MAC 2.5" cat back I have now. The original headers and H pipe are getting leaky and need to go by spring.

Now I see the BBK x pipe with cats and start wondering if that is better than the MAC 2.5" H pipe with cats. This is my daily driver so whatever I get gotta have cats. I really like the coated aluminized pipes of the MAC, but maybe more ponies with the BBK and I could get that coated???

Any good H/ X pipe advice for the guys with cats???

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 07:00 PM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

I run an off-road h-pipe, but it seems to be that BBK makes a much better product than MAC. I would suggest BBK.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:51 PM   #3
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I would also highly suggest BBK over MAC.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 10:43 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I recommend staying within a specific brand for exhaust products. If you go with MAC headers, get a MAC H pipe. If you go with a BBK X Pipe, get BBK headers.

I have a BBK Highflow H pipe with Cats, it didn't fit the factory headers for ****. It was a couple/three inches off easy. The hangers were welded asymetrical, and at uneven heights, and the one of the pipes was rotated too far causing a misalignment.

I got 2 at my place, both were the same. Actually, Summit screwed me on the deal. They boxed up the part I sent them in a different box and sent it back to me. Lame. What can you do though?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 01:09 AM   #5
posied88
Registered Member

Smile

MAC is an excellent product, i run their headers and off road H-pipe. MAC also focuses their production almost completely on exhaust products (that's how they started out) so i'm sure they have a good product. Anyway MAC does make an X-pipe and a prochamber, which is somewhere between an X and a H pipe. The downside of the Prochamber is that it does not come w/ cats.
3.55 Gears,Posi,MAC 1 5/8 Shorties,MAC Off-Road H-Pipe,Flowmaster 3 Chamber Mufflers,BBK 65mm Throttle Body,FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft,FRPP B-303 cam,Pro 5.0 Shifter,1 1/2in. Lowering Springs,HPM Subframe Connectors,HPM Driveshaft Loop,Full Saleen Body Kit and Wing,2.5in. Double Cowl Hood,17" Saleen Speedline Wheels.

So Cal Wild Horses
posied88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 09:25 AM   #6
Chevyguy

Lightbulb

Hmm I had suspected that I should stick with the same brand H/X pipe and headers. The Cat Back fit perfectly to the stock H pipe and left me with a good feeling about the MAC quality. I like my MAC pro billet shifter too. I got a good response about MAC for a cat back system, and wonder why BBK would be better for the Headers/H pipe. The one comment about the poor fit of a BBK H pipe to the stock headers concerns me though.

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

Old 11-15-2001, 11:57 AM   #7
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

MAC over BBK... I would go with the MAC products instead of the BBK... MAC makes excelent exhaust products... they know their stuff and they fit perfect, and they last for a long time... I do not care for BBK anything, since everyone I know with BBK stuff has had problems with it, be it instalation or things down the road... don't go BBK, their stuff is "CHEAP"

Steve

Sgarzi's Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 02:14 PM   #8
haulin'balz
The Notorious One

I'd agree w/ unit as far as sticking w/ the same brand for your entire exhaust.......always easier for the install and chances for exhaust leaks are little to none as opposed to going from bbk to mac to bassani etc etc. Why do some of you think MAC puts out a bad product? That's insane - exhausts are their business. I've hardly heard of someone not being satisfied w/ their Mac's. I guess t all depends on whether you want sound or performance or both. Don't get me wrong, BBKs are good, but Macs are too.

Damn this thing's fast!!!

[url]"http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1959"my ride[url]
haulin'balz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 03:31 PM   #9
Chevyguy

Cool

My MAC Cat back is not very loud which is a good thing, except when I want to be a punk ( I'm 35 now) then I wish I had flowmasters. Although I am told it makes plenty of noise outside the car. I figure when I put in the 1 5/8 headers and 2 1/2 H pipe it will bark more.

I don't even want to start on my header choice Equal length vs unequal shorties. I'm gettin unequals, so I can reach my plugs. Though long tubes have come to mind occasionally but naaah this is supposed to be a driver!

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

Old 11-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #10
Mach 1
Registered Member

Someone asked why I thought MAC was crap, so Ill answer. Several different speed shops told me to buy BBK, and told me to stay away from MAC while I was trying to order a MAC part. In particular, thier headers were rumored to have "quality control" problems.

I do have a MAC off road h-pipe, and it fits OK. That is the only MAC part I have. I also had a MAC strut tower brace that wasnt even close to fitting and had to send it back.
RHC member #142
Old 11-15-2001, 06:27 PM   #11
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

***MAC also focuses their production almost completely on exhaust products

Not true, have you looked at an add lately? And you call BBK's products cheap...LoL. And I'm not backing BBK up because I have them on my car, either. Because I've sold most of the stuff off my car already, because I'm selling it. I've had only good dealings with BBK, my H-pipe fit perfect, my headers fit perfect, etc.. etc....I doubt you'll see any Hp difference between BBK and MAC, but the quality of MAC products are just..well...not good. All the people I know that have bought Mac headers and other mac products are literally disgusted with them. I'd go wth BBk if i were you. JMO. If you had a littlre more cash to spend, "I'd" get Bassani Long Tube headers, and their X-pipe.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 07:06 PM   #12
posied88
Registered Member

Wink

When i said that MAC focuses almost completely on exhaust, i did add something to it. I said that is how they started out. i do realize that they have everything from shifters to guages in their catalog, but the experience that i have had along with some freinds has only been good with MAC. It's hard to say that something didnt fit on my car so it sucks because not every car is going to be exactly the same. That is why you will see someone say that their MAC H-Pipe, or what have you, fit perfectly and you will also have someone say it didnt even come close to fitting. Just my .02
3.55 Gears,Posi,MAC 1 5/8 Shorties,MAC Off-Road H-Pipe,Flowmaster 3 Chamber Mufflers,BBK 65mm Throttle Body,FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft,FRPP B-303 cam,Pro 5.0 Shifter,1 1/2in. Lowering Springs,HPM Subframe Connectors,HPM Driveshaft Loop,Full Saleen Body Kit and Wing,2.5in. Double Cowl Hood,17" Saleen Speedline Wheels.

So Cal Wild Horses
posied88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 07:32 PM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

The reason some MAC parts fit and some dont isnt the car, its the product from MAC. Its called inconsistent quality and has been a MAC problem for a long time. You might get a part that fits, you might not. Take your chances or go BBK, the choice is yours.
RHC member #142
Old 11-15-2001, 10:34 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Just about any Catback will fit great. There is so much room to play with them and maneuver them into position.

I'd say 50%+ of the MAC users complain about MAC quality, and I will certainly back Mach 1 on the inconsistancy in that brand.

From peeling coating, to poor fitment, to no fitment. Overcharging, poor finish quality, lack of customer service, etc. I've seen many posts on MAC products surrounding all those problems.

I have had personally bad experiance with a BBK product, but as a general rule BBK has a much, much better reputation than MAC for quality.

My opinion is, if you are going aftermarket for your exhaust, chances are you're gonna have a problem or two. The consistant quality just doesn't seem to be their for most manufacturers.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:49 PM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

well said unit. I think you summed it up perfectly.
RHC member #142
Old 11-16-2001, 08:34 AM   #16
Chevyguy

Hmm, maybe I'll reconsider my opinion of MAC, certianly I will do some more digging before I even get close to buying my Headers and H pipe. Anything that is made by humans can be made wrong, the trick is to keep the mistakes to a minimum. Also how they respond to quality problems is very important. When I put my cat back on, I had already cut my tailpipes off with a sawzall, if the system did not fit etc I would have been screwed since this is my daily driver, food for thought eh

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD