View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: Manual or Power Steering?

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK85GT
Ok, I am at a crossroads with the steering. I am putting things back together, and I dont want to put my old rack back since it is out now.
Question is should I go for the Flaming river Manual rack kit. ($479 for everything).
Otherwise i need a new power rack, tie rod ends, power steer pump, hoses, etc. In other words I want all new since everything is out now.

Would like some input from the guys running manual racks.
The car IS NOT a daily driver, just a weekend playtoy/carshow deal.
Is the manual steering too hard to deal with? should I stay with power? In the end , the cost will be about the same to go either way, but I have to decide now.
I have the complete Flaming River kit on my car with front runners (Mickey Thompson tires). I have no problems when it comes to effort or control when I am doing my very limited street driving . Know if you are using stock or wider wheels I can not tell you if you will enjoy it or not. I have always had some sort of "skinnies" up front, while having my manual rack. The effort is quite pleasant in my car around town. Know you must realize that it takes more turns of the wheel to get the same angle as prior of this rack. (I guess more gearing to eliminate the effort to turn the wheel). But never the less, I have never missed the stock power-steering in my car, especially while under the hood!
My vote is to go with the manual rack, and you can even shine up the polished center for those car shows!
Good luck & hope this helps.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote