MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Default Manual or Power Steering?

Ok, I am at a crossroads with the steering. I am putting things back together, and I dont want to put my old rack back since it is out now.
Question is should I go for the Flaming river Manual rack kit. ($479 for everything).
Otherwise i need a new power rack, tie rod ends, power steer pump, hoses, etc. In other words I want all new since everything is out now.

Would like some input from the guys running manual racks.
The car IS NOT a daily driver, just a weekend playtoy/carshow deal.
Is the manual steering too hard to deal with? should I stay with power? In the end , the cost will be about the same to go either way, but I have to decide now.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

Default Re: Manual or Power Steering?

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK85GT
Ok, I am at a crossroads with the steering. I am putting things back together, and I dont want to put my old rack back since it is out now.
Question is should I go for the Flaming river Manual rack kit. ($479 for everything).
Otherwise i need a new power rack, tie rod ends, power steer pump, hoses, etc. In other words I want all new since everything is out now.

Would like some input from the guys running manual racks.
The car IS NOT a daily driver, just a weekend playtoy/carshow deal.
Is the manual steering too hard to deal with? should I stay with power? In the end , the cost will be about the same to go either way, but I have to decide now.
I have the complete Flaming River kit on my car with front runners (Mickey Thompson tires). I have no problems when it comes to effort or control when I am doing my very limited street driving . Know if you are using stock or wider wheels I can not tell you if you will enjoy it or not. I have always had some sort of "skinnies" up front, while having my manual rack. The effort is quite pleasant in my car around town. Know you must realize that it takes more turns of the wheel to get the same angle as prior of this rack. (I guess more gearing to eliminate the effort to turn the wheel). But never the less, I have never missed the stock power-steering in my car, especially while under the hood!
My vote is to go with the manual rack, and you can even shine up the polished center for those car shows!
Good luck & hope this helps.
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
blk88lx
Registered Member

I had the flaming river rack on an 88 street car I have since sold. What a pain in the ***** on street tires. I drove the car alot and parking sucked. bad. Probably would be better w/skinnies but then there would be handling issues. If you building a street car, go w/the power set up. I switched it out for the power set up on the 88 (made it easier to sell too).
blk88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blk88lx
I had the flaming river rack on an 88 street car I have since sold. What a pain in the ***** on street tires. I drove the car alot and parking sucked. bad. Probably would be better w/skinnies but then there would be handling issues. If you building a street car, go w/the power set up. I switched it out for the power set up on the 88 (made it easier to sell too).
You make a very good point, ...but some people are willing to put up with more B/S in there street cars or race cars then others. (its all taste)
These parts are for hard core people. I would despise my car if I had to drive it everywhere or occationally. Thats why I drive my other vehicles, and leave my Mustang for racing and the occational blast down the street and nothing more!
Old 01-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Well, as far as parking, the only place I would be parking is either at a car show or in the garage, and maybe at the pits at the track. This car WILL NOT be parked next to granny's grocery getter at the local supermaket. I have three other cars for that.

But it will get the occasional sunday drive.
I have never driven a stang with manual rack. Dont know anyone that has one. But I like the idea of cleaning up the engine compartment a bit and no power steer oil mess, etc.

I guess my question is: is it impossible to drive other than the track for my above stated purposes? As far as selling it, forget that, (had this car since new and too much money into it).
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK85GT
Well, as far as parking, the only place I would be parking is either at a car show or in the garage, and maybe at the pits at the track. This car WILL NOT be parked next to granny's grocery getter at the local supermaket. I have three other cars for that.

But it will get the occasional sunday drive.
I have never driven a stang with manual rack. Dont know anyone that has one. But I like the idea of cleaning up the engine compartment a bit and no power steer oil mess, etc.

I guess my question is: is it impossible to drive other than the track for my above stated purposes? As far as selling it, forget that, (had this car since new and too much money into it).
Look at it this way, everybody has a different comfort level. I would not hesitate to enter my car into a true street event, or drive it to my local drag strip on slicks! I don't think it is tha big of a deal. Now getting a gallon of milk in the mustang is stupid when I have another car with a/c and a radio.
Now driving your car with the p/s belt off is a huge pain. With the manual rack in its place, its almost half the effort in comparison.
(or at least with the skinnies on) IMO

Lets put it this way,...with the car parked in the garage on the floor, I can turn the wheel with the least amount of resistence!!!!
People I have showed that to, quickly got the manual rack with out a second thought!!!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Ok thats a good comparison (no pw st belt on). From what I have read here so far, sounds like I will be getting the manual.

easier than getting a new power rack, new pump, hoses, and all the chrome accessories to cover the ps pulley, pump etc.

is the steering more precise with the manual? getting rid of the rag joint makes a difference, etc?
Production # 9,377
Old 01-17-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
420nitro
Registered Member

yes, steering is more precise.
The only thing is the steering shaft can be a pain at times but no big deal really. (when removing or reinstalling) Alot of room for adjustment though.
Good luck
Old 01-17-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
blk88lx
Registered Member

For your stated purpose, the river rack would be fine. Mine was more precise w/the river rack but a pain in the rear in day to day traffic. If that's not what you'll be doing, and selling isn't an option, then go w/the river rack.
blk88lx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: