MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-2001, 01:56 PM   #1
m w douglas
Registered Member

Post power steering to manual

Does anyone know if I remove all p/s gear and replace the center link without replaceing the steering box with the car be driveable. 1966, 289 w/o air. Tried of the leaks.
m w douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 02:56 PM   #2
Dark Knight
Registered Member

I did that to my 68 without a prob, but I think you need to change the idler arm too..
I think there is a part you can get that will hook it all together without changing anything except pulling the power stearing stuff...

------------------
84 convt,'95 302,AFR's, performer
3.55's, underdrives BBK shorties
stock cam, 1.7's
13.85@102.5
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 04:15 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Look it a Mustang Magazine. They make a part that goes on the end of the center link, where the Power steering control valve is, that screws on in its place and you hook it to the pitman arm. You got manual steering.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
Fostang
Registered Member

That manual conversion piece is extremely easy to make. But it is also a waste of time. change the centerlink, pitman arm, idler arm, then make sure u have the correct steering box some are only for power steering but other's interchange. That's what I did. Works fine. Way softer and more stable than adding that crap manual adapter. It's the worst 90 bucks you can spend. Do it right and you'll be happy.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote