MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-26-2002, 06:06 PM   #1
Her99GT
Registered Member

Default Alignment Problems......

I had my car lowered about 4 months ago. It was lowered about 1 1/4 in. (Steeda Sport Springs.) The next day I had it aligned and the technician said that they couldn't get it exact. Today I went to have my tires rotated and they said that there is inside wear on the tires, which signifies that it needs an alignment. Is this going to be an on-going problem because it got lowered or do I just need to go to someone else to get it aligned?

Thanks,

Beth
Her99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 06:45 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

My car is also lowered with Steeda's sport springs. At the same time I had em put in, I had adjustable caster camber plates put in, and then had the car aligned. Everything worked out, and the car rides great. I would suggest getting some CC plates, I think they're only like $150.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:07 PM   #3
Her99GT
Registered Member

I do have caster/camber plates.
Her99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 01:51 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you have caster/camber plates then there should be no problem with getting the negative camber into spec. My '00 GT is lowered over 2" in the front and I don't have any uneven wear problems with the tires (although my oilpan is a different story).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 02:30 AM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The problem with most Mustangs lowered or not aligned to the stock specs is wearing the outside edge of the tire. I wonder what the tech meant by "couldn't get it exact"...

I had the exact same setup, Steeda Sports and CC plates and didn't have a problem. It sounds like the tech screwed it up. What specs did you ask for? Did they give you a print out?
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:25 AM   #6
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

Well I had my car aligned saturday and the technician told me that the cc are all the way to the limit and there is no more "play" he said that the caster is off by a bit.
He also mention that the way the car is align is perfect for drag racing but that my tires are wearing fast.
Anyway the car stoped pulling to the left and I don't drive much.
"HER99" if you decide to get cc don't get steeda's get something else.

.................................................. ............................................
99GT
Under drive pulleys, subframes, 3.73, sport Lowering springs, strut tower brace, caster/camber plates, rear sway bar, tokiko illumina adjustable shocks/struts, upper&lower rear control arms, timing adjuster, 245x17 Michelin pilot, high performance brake pads, (no silencer, no spare tire).
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Do you have the specs of what the car was actually alligned to? Again, I had the same setup, it doesn't compare to the Griggs setup I have now, but there was not any problem at all aligning it to stock specs or Steeda specs or what I eventually found worked a bit better.

BTW, if you are wearing the inside edge then you have either too much negative camber or are on the toe out side (you want a bit of toe in). Neither is good for drag racing.

The caster statement doesn't make much sense either. There is a lot of adjustment available for caster. You want the most equal caster you can get. If one side can get 4 degrees and the other 3, then you set both to 3. There is no reason for the caster to be "a bit off" no matter what, the whole point is to align it so that aren't a bit off.

What kind of shop is this? If its just a regular alignment/general maintance sort of place then they are probably good enough for stock spec +- alignments, but they tend to be very hit or miss on rather or not they can do more precision or nonstock spec work.

The Steeda CC plates are the FRPP plates. They won't work for coil overs but other then that there isn't anything wrong with them.

EDIT: If you didn't this time, ask for a print out of the alignment every time.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:23 AM   #8
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

"97snakedriver", thanks for your responsed it was very educative.
I did take the car to a regular alignment shop this time, and they told me the same thing as the high performance garage I took the car last year. They all said that the screws in the cc are touching the end of the plate therefore there can not be anymore adjustment.
The mechanic did mention that the car is seating to low I think that is what he meant when he said that is right for drag racing but for regular driving the tires will wear fast.
You might be familiar with the "STAGE 3" from steeda which is what I have, the garage where I installed the cc could not get them working so I decided to take the car to a high performance shop and they had to actually cut the holes in the cc in order to get more play so they could be adjusted.
The performance garage told me that the first garage had the cc upside down and I know that even steeda says that they could fit ither way but only one way will work. The steeda instruction were very bad.
I appreciate your comments though.
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote