MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-10-2001, 04:21 PM   #1
BlackSunshine
Registered Member

Question ABS Braking Systems

Has anyone ever removed one from a 5.0L SN95 Car? Is there any advantage to removing?
example: weight?

------------------
Check out current Group Buys at:
http://www.forcedinduction.com/ubb/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

To join the Group Buys Mailing List:
Send a blank message to groupbuys-subscribe@forcedinduction.com
BlackSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:39 PM   #2
MiracleMax
Registered Member

I don't see where it would save that much weight? Besides the benefits I think far out weigh the weight penalty (no pun intended ). In SCCA they have a 50 lbs. weight penalty for ABS equipped cars don't they? Still the teams I've seen on TV and read about swear by the ABS system's ability because they can dive in deeper before hitting the brakes and not having to worry about modulating them to avoid lock-up.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 01:44 PM   #3
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Oh yeah, rather than defeat the ABS system and remove it, just try and shave the weight some place else. HAL has some nifty aluminum struts thast are supposed to be 32% lighter than the competitors (nothing like really nailing down some numbers there, 32% lighter than what and who?) I'm sure something like that or a fibreglass hood would take the same amount or more off, unless you where looking to remove all the weight you could? I think if all I had left to remove was the ABS I'd just go on a diet (err, well I am cause racing seasons coming up and I think I can lose a 10th by going on a diet myself )
Old 02-14-2001, 03:07 PM   #4
drudis

Wink

The advantage would be weight...
What you neeeeeed to do is take it off, and send it to me. I will install it on my 89 roadracer.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 11:31 PM   #5
MiracleMax
Registered Member

On the matter of weight, Hey Drudis did you install your k-memeber yet? I'm getting ready to do mine (Lucky me the engine is still at the machine shop!) and I wuz thinking about droping the power steering set-up. Flaming river has a manual rack with the same 15:1 ratio as the stock unit. On my last motor I had dropped the AC and smog pump and it felt like the steering was really over boosted. So I wuz thinking (dangerous) that the combination of no AC, aluminum heads, aftermarket brackets, aftermarket intake, aluminum bumper mounts, coil-shocks, tubular k-member, tubular a-arms, fibreglass hood, hal struts, and flaming river manual steering would keep me from looking like Popeye? Any experience here? Also been scraping out the factory sound deadner and already replaced the factory hatch with a fibreglass unit and lexan. Hoping to get my car in the 2900 lbs range. I'll have to get it weighed when I'm done to be sure
Old 02-15-2001, 02:17 PM   #6
drudis

Still working on it...
Got it all "apart". Now I gotta just start A-ssembling it. Changing the oilpan to a 7Q Canton, that was holding up the install.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: