MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
LOCASH
Registered Member

Default Anyone else make the mistake of auto-xing an AOD?

Don't know why I do it. I came around the last turn and a cloud of blue smoke came out of the wheel well. I popped the hood (quickly) and it looked like the fluid was coming out of the fill tube. It's not overfilled though. Did it boil or something? I can't wait to get rid of the AOD.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Sounds like you had the fuild a bit hot..... thats why they dont you auto's In Auto-X car..... doing that can kill the tranny...Or could Make a CAr fire if the fuilds get on the Headers.... Sounds like you have been having fun..
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
drudis

AOD's are not the greatest for that racing, but you gotta do with what'cha got...

Are you sure its tranny fluid? Sounds a little fishy that AOD fluid spilled... You sure its not p/s fluid? THAT does boil under extreme turns/loads like that.
Even if it wasnt, change it to Valvoline synthetic stuff like this: pop off the low-pressure hose by unscrewing the hose clamp. "aim" (you'll pee on the floor anyways) the fluid into a bucket. Cap the p/s pump with "something" (duct-tape, finger...) and refill the p/s reservoir. Turn the motor over, while turning the steering lock to lock (WITHOU starting the engine). Keep pouring new fluid into reservoir while doing this. This procedure flushes the old stuff, and add all new fluid.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 04:22 PM   #4
jpinoh
Registered Member

LOCASH,

You may have a shift kit but if you really push any AOD you should have a transmission cooler. Even though you don't build up much speed in auto-xing it will still cool your fluid better since you'll have more surface area to dissipate the heat.

I run a 28,000 GVW cooler on my 99GT, one of the biggest stacked plate coolers you can buy. I don't autocross but I do open track the car....

--Jim

'99 GT
jpinoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: