MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-2001, 04:31 PM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Post Auto-Xing Sunday

This Sunday I'm Auto-Xing. Tomorrow I'm rotating the tires to put the better ones up front, aligning (-1.3 Camber, As much Caster as they can get, 1/16 total Toe In), as well as installing stiffer rear springs (390/430), and checking the brake pads (should be good).

Any other advice?

My suspension is:
Rear: Griggs TA/PHR, control arms, stock sway bar, 390/430# springs, Tokicos Illuminas.
Front: Stock K-member/arms, MM alum rack bushings, K-member brace, 700# springs, sway bar end links and bushings.

Brakes: Brembo 4 piston w/ Galpher pads. Rear: stock.

Tires: Goodyear F1 GS 275/40s on Cobra R wheels.

The suspension is not complete, but does anyone have any advice on what I should do setup wise (air pressure, ect) for Sunday?

Thanks!
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 06:04 PM   #2
lito
Registered Member

brake fluid change, at least purge and drain whats on the calipers.

And also

LUCK!

------------------
92GT,SOLO RACER, COBRA BRAKES, R1 TIRES, GT40, GT40X HEADS 58CC, 24LBS, 70MM/65MM, E303, 4.10, MANY ROAD RACE MODS, CORVETTE, CAMARO, RX7 AND SUPRA SOLO EVENT EATER

www.killersracing.com
www.clubcopa.com
lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 06:23 PM   #3
drudis

Fluids check... Change brake fluid as suggested. But also review oil/trans/water/steering...
Then verify pads/rotors and wheel bearings and ball joints arent worn out.
Bolts check. Review and tighten EVERYTHING!!!

p.s. Why those specs for alignment? I woulda thought you run 1/16" toe OUT for autocrossing. And camber, I thought more too. I run -2.6 camber and 1/16 out and max caster with C/C plates. Tires cold are 38/34 or 41/38 hot (after 20 minutes of roadcourse) so this may be different.

------------------
Darius Rudis
Roadracer: Home built t-arm/panhard suspension powered by an S-trimmed motor :-)
My Mustang Page
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 10:38 PM   #4
lito
Registered Member

About the toe I personally have tested many configs, and made my own conclusion (just for me) I've tried out, way out, neutral and in. And for our type of autox I prefer a bit in. We have some segments of +110mph and braking from that to 30mph with and out config isn't very helpful. So I've discovered that better and stable braking wich I've gained was far better that gain thru the slaloms and chicanes with the out setup.

my 2c

------------------
92GT,SOLO RACER, COBRA BRAKES, R1 TIRES, GT40, GT40X HEADS 58CC, 24LBS, 70MM/65MM, E303, 4.10, MANY ROAD RACE MODS, CORVETTE, CAMARO, RX7 AND SUPRA SOLO EVENT EATER

www.killersracing.com
www.clubcopa.com
lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 01:13 AM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drudis:

p.s. Why those specs for alignment? I woulda thought you run 1/16" toe OUT for autocrossing. And camber, I thought more too. I run -2.6 camber and 1/16 out and max caster with C/C plates. Tires cold are 38/34 or 41/38 hot (after 20 minutes of roadcourse) so this may be different.

Yeah, the brake fluid has been flushed and replaced with Ford Hi-Performance. Pads and everything else (besides the loose CDs under my seat; I'll get those later) are good.

The alignment (camber) is very conservative because that's acutally what I'm going to run on the street. This week sucks. I don't really have time to auto-x as it is, so I can't really spend much time setting up the car and while my other car is down the Cobra is my only car. Till now I have been running -1.1 camber and have been wearing the outside of the tires with normal (for me) driving. So I'm rotating the tires and upper it a bit. I'll probably try the chalk or shoe polish trick.

For Toe I've had all sorts of suggestions ranging from slight in to a LOT of out. Whem I have more time I'll experiment more.

But it turns out I'm can't do it anyway... I have 30% of a final grade in all my classes due in the next 5 days... A 20 page paper, a medium sized program, and the scheduler of a real time OS to write...
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2001, 10:00 PM   #6
RIlx
Registered Member

I think you should have your car aligned with MORE negative camber.

The fact that your street tires wore on the outside backs this up.

I have been beating on my car for two years with a base alignment of -2.5, all caster posible with the FMS derlin bushings, and 1/16 toe in.

My street tires wear EVEN right across the tread. More negative camber may actually improve your tire life.

If you have cc plates, and the autox is a small tight one, don't be afraid to loosen them up, and push in the strut tops. Your car will slalom better, and it will give the car some toe out. When you see how easy this is, you will have less respect for the alignment man. Just mark where they where when you started, and put them back at the end of the day.

It is no big deal, and shouldn't effect the centering of the steering wheel, or make the car pull to either side.
RIlx is offline   Reply With Quote