MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #1
ExtremeJDK
Registered Member

Default Autocross Suspension Preperation Help.

Howdy, I'm looking into maybe running a few Autocross events this season. Not an every weekend deal, but an occasional every other month or so. I have an '86 GT but with '88 body panels and motor/tranny. She runs pretty well, and I'm already upgrading the brakes. My question is .. what are the first modifications I should do on a limited college-student's budget to prepare the suspension for better cornering and Autocross? She hauls, but handles like CRAP right now with the all stock setup. I do have access to welding materials and tools, so anything I might be able to fabricate would also be welcome. I'm running some Goodyear 245s on 15s on the rear and 225 on front. Also, she is a 5-speed. Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

Tired of the tuner world, time for some Domestic Muscle.
ExtremeJDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

first thing is get a rule book, and decide what class you want to run in. if this is your first time then go with a stock or similar street class. using the rule book determine what mods are class legal. things like subframe connectors, roll bars, suspension mods etc. for example, if the rule book allows subframe connectors, by all mean use them. if not the replace the stock rocker panels with ones from a convertable mustang as they are stock, but stronger than the ones on a coupe or fastback. also use a coupe as they are lighter and stiffer than the fastback or convertable. if suspension mods are allowed, determine which ones. example, can you relocate the lowefront are pivot points? can you adda torque arm, and/or a panhard bar or watts links? how about using a jacobs ladder? once you know what class you are going to run, then i can give you better ideas of what you can do.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
drudis

As stated, the rulebook is the first place to look.
99% of the rules state that you cannot addmost anything, unless you care to be bumped into prepared or even mod divisions. Something you wont be even remotely competitive.

I suggest getting a rule book, and then decide what you wish to do.. Then ask spcifically on install tips for those projects.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:14 AM   #4
ExtremeJDK
Registered Member

SO I looked more into it and I'd prolly have much better success in the Stock class, but I think I'd rather be allowed more freedom to modify my car and do worse than to do better in a class limiting my ability to modify for the drag strip and personal enjoyment. I don't mind losing really. I'm thinking about running Street Prepared, since I've already made exhaust mods and installing an intake. I don't need any power-mod suggestions, but what mods should I make first for Street Prepared? THanks!

Tired of the tuner world, time for some Domestic Muscle.
ExtremeJDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #5
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

new springs and struts will make a really big difference. I suggest you look at www.maximummotorsports.com
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
RPM427
Registered Member

Upgrading your brakes with some high performance pads and fluid will help a lot. The stock stuff will fade really bad and hurt performance. Before you get into suspension mods you need to build a strong foundation for them. You best bet would be to weld in a set of full length sub frame connectors from Maximuim Motorsports. If you are very serious about handling you can go with a "through the floor" setup that will tie the two subframes together like a full frame car.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
drudis

Springs,
shocks,
wheels/tires,
subframes will be a great start.

Pads and brakes are nice. Dont really know how much you would _need_ them on an autocross course. Radracing for 20 minutes at 100mph, they are a must!

Good luck.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

ok the first thing you want to do is install weld in subframe connectors, either ones that follow the floorpan, or ones that go through the floor depending on how much work you are willing to do.

next replace the rocker panels with the ones from the convertable mustang. as i stated earlier they are stronger.

next install a kenny brown extreme brace and jacking rails. these will tie the subframes and the rocker panels together making for a very stiff chassis.

next you want to add a strut tower brace.

if you can install a torque arm and panhard bar, and aftermarket tubular lower control arms, trash the upper arms as they are usless for what you want. this will get the rear end to stick like mad.

moving to the front, replace the stock K member with a tubular one, griggs racing makes a good one for road racing. install caster/camber plates. get ones with maximum adjustability.

as to springs, if this is going to be a dual purpose car, then get a set of progressive rate springs, eibach can help you with the rates you will need. if this is a single purpose car then you want a fairly stiff spring, the ford super sports springs work fine.

get the best struts and shocks you can afford, koni's are the best in my opinion, but kyb's and bilstien's are also very good. i liket he koni's becaues not only are they fully adjustable, but they are also rebuildable as well.

wheels and tire, use the widest wheels and tires the rules allow, you may need to roll the fender lips to get them to fit.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: