MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-17-2002, 11:32 PM   #1
Illini
Registered Member

Question Brake question

I'm not very excited about the factory brakes on my GT. I was wandering if it would be better to upgrade to a 13" front rotor set-up like the cobra's or to just try to get better pads and possibly brake cooling ducts. If the cobra brake upgrade would be better, GEF racing has a deal on them( rotors, calipers, bracket, hoses, and pads) for 560.00ish. GEF also has the bullit front kit that looks similar ( twin piston, 13" rotor) calipers are red in the bullit kit and the cobra calipers are black. The bullit kit is around 475 I think. Is there any difference between the two set-ups other than caliper color, are the pads a different compound or something. It just seems like a big price difference if it's just the color of caliper and one says cobra and the other one has a running horse. The car will probably not see any track duty, more aimed at really spirited driving on back roads. Any thoughts or opinions appreciated. PS I'm not made of money so please don't say brembo or baer or wilwood. I know about them I just can't justify the 1000.00^ price range for them in this application.
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
GodStang
College Stanger

Unless the cobra brakes are single piston than they are both the same. They just look different. I am in the same situatuin and I do not have a lot of money so I may soon buy one or the other.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:57 PM   #3
Illini
Registered Member

Thanks Godstang for the input. They're both twin piston calipers, on monday I guess I'll give Gef a call and find out something. I just don't see that big of a price difference if it's because of color or because one says cobra and the other doesn't. Drudis or anyothers with input please feel free to inform or give opinions on this set-up please.
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
drudis

The Bullit setup is very nice.
I personally run the M2300K 13" Cobra brakes. These were a HUGE improvement over the stock 11" front, 9"DRUM rears.
Pads make a difference, but ONLY on the track. DOnt use track pads on the street, as they are not in the right temp zone, and will actually perform worse.
Brembos and Wildwoods are "exotic" pieces for serious pimp street cars, or super-duty track cars. But they are expensive, so thats why I dont have them...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 12:30 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I have also been looking at the Baer Track front brake kit for $699. It has 2 piston finned aluminum calipers, 13" rotors, steel braided lines, and Baer pads. I'm just wondering if this kit is better than the Cobra one and worth the extra cost?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: