MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #1
Miss Mischief
Registered Member

Default Brakes On a 2000 V-6

Ok this May sound very stupid

But i Understand the principals Of Corner Carving is Gears and Gas. Brakes are not something I ever worried about In a Car Built for powering through a corner because I would never gear out until I was through a turn and Had gotten a Little Tach this way if she started to slide or loose grip slipping of the gas is more likely to bring her back then a Tap of the Brake. But How inportent is it to have any Better calipers and Discs Then what come with the V-6 Pony? She has 4 wheel ABS as well as 4 wheel dual caliper disc brakes.

The way I have always seen It Brakes to a Corner Carver are very bad Because Like a High Horespower Engine with no Throttle Band the car simply wants to drive straight vrs turning.

RHC#153 Proud to carry the Card

2000 V-6 5 speed Frame Braces [Steeda] [Wanna be Cobra] 17" Rims with Kuhmo 245's 5 Spoke Gunmetal finish [Power Dyne] Blower Unpolished 6 psi {Mods to Come} [Steeda] Springs slightly lower then stock [Steeda] Anti sway bars front and rear.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Big six 5 speed Infinty Bose steroe Lots of Creatures Comforts [Mods] Brush/ Push bar Full length Welded and Bolted , Tow Hook Front and Rear 30" Goodyear AT's .
Miss Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Good brakes are the only thing that will save you when you get your car really handling well. The more speed you can carry through and coming out of the corners the faster you will be going when you get to the next corner. All this extra energy that needs to be dissipated results in overheated brakes, which will cause you to wreck in a hurry.
You are right about not using the brakes IN a corner, but if you are not using them hard going INTO the corner, then you are not going fast enough and are also not transferring the weight of the car to the front wheels as effectively as you could for turn-in. Of course if you stay on the brakes while you are turning in the front end of the car will plow and try to go straight, but that's not how you use the brakes. You should brake firmly while still going straight and start turning the wheel as you let off the brake. This loads up the front wheels to give them more traction for turning, but prevents you from trying to use that limited amount of traction for both braking and turning at the same time. You should turn the wheel smoothly to the proper position that will take you on the right line across the apex, and if your car is set up properly you should be able to make corrections with the throttle and not have to move the wheel at all until you are straightening it back out leaving the corner.
The later you can brake into a corner the faster you are around the track, period. Big brake kits have the benefit of stopping the car in a shorter distance AND not overheating so that they will remain consistent and not fade after hard, repeated braking.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:25 PM   #3
Miss Mischief
Registered Member

Thank you that is some sound advice Is It again working on down shifting before the turn after you have to work the Brakes this way you can keep the Tach up to your advatage again if you begin to Loose Traction you can simply back off on the throttle to control your rate of turn? And Regain the Car with the throttle rather then attempting to compinsate with you steering?

2000 V-6 5 speed Frame Braces [Steeda] [Wanna be Cobra] 17" Rims with Kuhmo 245's 5 Spoke Gunmetal finish [Power Dyne] Blower Unpolished 6 psi {Mods to Come} [Steeda] Springs slightly lower then stock [Steeda] Anti sway bars front and rear.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Big six 5 speed Infinty Bose steroe Lots of Creatures Comforts [Mods] Brush/ Push bar Full length Welded and Bolted , Tow Hook Front and Rear 30" Goodyear AT's .
Old 04-04-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Yes, you should always downshift before the corner to keep the revs in the sweet spot. This serves to keep you in the powerband coming out of the corner and also makes throttle adjustments for correction more effective. I heel-and-toe downshift while I am braking coming into a corner.
You are definitely on the right track about using throttle adjustments to make corrections during the turn rather than moving the steering wheel. This is based on the fact that friction force is a constant multiplied by the weight pushing down on the tires. When you transfer the weight to the right tires, you are increasing the cornering load they can withstand without slipping.
Using the wheel to correct can be a very bad habit because a lot of people get away with it for awhile as they are not turning as fast as the car is capable of and have a little more traction left for turning when they turn the wheel more, but when you are cornering at the limit if you need to turn in more and try to use the wheel you are going to crash; letting off the gas transfers the weight to the front for better turning traction at the front wheels and the car will turn more without having to move the steering wheel. (Of course when you are deep in the throttle and hanging the car's booty out sideways or getting too out of control you will have to counter with the wheel also; I'm just talking about taking the proper line here rather than drifting).
You can practice weight transfer without even going very fast. You can feel the difference in how the car tries to turn at the same speed with the suspension properly loaded going into the corner compared to if you don't use the brakes and just turn the wheel.
Also, they key to driving fast is being smooth with all your input so as not to upset the chassis and tires. I stroke my gas pedal coming out of the corners like I stroke my women - nice and smooth.

Last edited by blue00gt; 04-04-2003 at 07:46 PM..
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:01 PM   #5
Miss Mischief
Registered Member

Thanks and yes Most of this I learned By snap rolling a bike at extremly slow speeds anyone can Push or in this case twist a throttle it takes a rider to have complete control of a Motorcycle 10 times her own body weight at 5 to 25 mph.