MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Racing > Corner Carvers Delight
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default Are bushings worth the trouble of having to install them?

I know it's a lot of work to replace all the bushings in my car, but I was wondering if it's worth looking into to? If so, which bushings are good? Thanks, Keith.

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default ttt

sorry, nobody answered and I forgot that I posted this. So are they worth the hassle (sp?) of changing the bushings? I am going to buy & install some upper/ lower control control arms, so should I just wait until I install those to replace the bushings? What other bushings can I replace on my car that I will notice an improvement? Thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:17 AM   #3
drudis

I replaced the FRONT bushings, to firm up the ride and get rid of the slop on a roadcourse. THAT was worth it.
As for rear bushings, if your old bushings have a lot of miles, then yes. For a roadcourse car, you would NOT want to do ALL of them, as this induces bind, and thats bad. The different travel arcs of the suspension bind, and make the car "feel" better, but at the limit, it binds, and off the track you go...
For drag racing, sure. It will help control the rear end and keep it where its supposed to be.

Hows that for a wishy washy answer...
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:09 PM   #4
indiana dave
Registered Member

To expand on drudis's answer... I'd replace all of the bushings in the rear end... BUT only replace the lowers with urethane... Put new rubber ones in the uppers.
ANOTHER BUT!!!!
Aftermarket rear control arms are so inexpensive, it's almost not worth the effort of pressing, burning, pounding, drilling, and whatever else it takes to remove the original bushings.
If I were to do it again, i'd buy a set of rear upper & lower control arms. Make sure you get a set from the same manufacturer... They're general designed to work together.
And as far as other bushings to replace? Swaybar bushings are pretty easy & inexpensive.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
jim_howard_pdx
Registered Member

Cool

Urethane bushings can squeek you to death. Contact Global West Suspensions and see what they are doing for the modern mustangs. Their idea is to eliminate deflection by using hard machineable plastic similar to nylon and synthetic grease. That way there is no bind, no deflection, just pure cornering heaven.

Hope this helps. I have been using urethane for years and I am slowly replacing everything with Global West stuff. It is excellent, a great value, and the only way to go for a street driven car.

Drive SAFE